What age did you put your child into a toddler bed?

I read a question earlier and someone said 20 months was a little young for it. I disagree myself. My DD is 16 almost 17 months old, and I just put her into a toddler bed this week. We bought the bed gate, so she can't roll out of bed. But she was becoming a big furniture climber, and learned to climb into my bed one day while we were playing in our bedroom. If she can do that, I knew it would only be a matter of days before she mastered the crib. So I knew the crib was no longer safe for her. She loves her toddler bed now. I was just curious at what age other mom's here have put their toddlers into toddler beds?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 2:32 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My toddler now 2 1/2 has been sleeping in a toddler bed since he was 15 months, He started climbing early and rather than chance him falling out in the middle of the night We opted for the change, he was an early walker at 7 1/2 months yeah...and climbing 13 flights of stairs before he was 1 so it depends on your toddler and his/her progress... ours was on the go early and hasn't stopped yet... LOL
    VMac

Answer by VMac at 4:33 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I moved mine at 31 months.
    She was trying to climb out of her crib at 11 months and there was no way I was putting an infant in a bed and giving her the freedom to explore her room at any time of the night. So I put in a crib tent to keep her from climbing out and waited until I felt my child was responsible enough to stay put in bed instead of playing during naptime or bedtime.
    But that's MY child. Every child and every family is different. And every parent has to evaluate their child's personality, how likely the child is to get hurt when unsupervised, where the bedroom is located (upstairs or down), etc. And then determine what is best for that child, in that room, in that family.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:38 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Just before her second b-day
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 2:45 PM on May. 8, 2009

• 22 months but that was because he climbed out, not because I thought he was ready. (We skipped the todler bed and went right to a regular bed.) I agree that it varies but child but ability to climb out of a crib is the problem. Our son adjusted reasonably well but we had trouble keeping him in the bed initially.
    Anonymous

• They weren't invented when my kids were little..LOL. I put them in regular beds at about 2. My grandkids though I put her in a toddler bed at 18 months. She was way more than ready. He didn't go to a toddler bed until after he was three. The crib was his 'comfort zone' due to things that happened before they came to live with us. So each child is different. My youngest son was climing over the end, not side, of the crib at 10 months. I was afraid he was going to break his neck. So we left the drop side down. So if he wanted up he could get out, but not over the end. He was just too small to put in a bed at that time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:14 PM on May. 8, 2009

• We never used a toddler bed, just put him in a big boy bed right around age 2. He was still perfectly fine in the crib but we found out the frame we wanted was being discontinued. We already had a set of drawers in his bedroom from the range so we decided just to get the bed and another set of drawers at that time.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:36 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Never. We put them into regular beds at 15 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:15 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I have three daughter and my babies or 14 months apart and I put my middle daughter in the toddler bed at 12 months so she would be transitioned before i had my other daughter two months later and she loved it from day one she lays down every night and goes to sleep by herself and always has
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 4:37 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I just bought my son a new toddler bed, his own pillow, and a whole bed set a couple weeks ago. He's 16 months, 17 months on the 13th. Lastnight was the first night he slept in it all night and didn't get up to get in bed with me. It has very short rails that come about as far down as his pillow but he doesn't fall out.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 5:11 PM on May. 8, 2009

• We just switched her at 20 months.

But I would have done it younger like you if she was trying to climb out of her crib.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:23 PM on May. 8, 2009