craft ideas?

I'm interested in getting into some crafts that are "green". Any ideas for everyday recyclables that can be made into nice gifts? With the economy the way it is, and everyone going green, I thought these would make some nice filler gifts for people for holidays or birthdays, etc.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 2:34 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• this is kinda cool too..
    http://www.allcrafts.net/f.php?url=www.chicaandjo.com/2009/02/24/recycle-phone-book-into-pen-organizer/
    turns a phone book into a multi section pencil holder! Sounds kinda weird but I like the finished look of it!
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 7:41 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Can you sew? I have been saving a few pieces of clothing of my dd's from each yr and I plan on making a quilt out of it. that wont work for christams or birthdays I know...but Ill keep thinking.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:44 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I made a cute cupcake out of an old flower pot. Just glue the saucer on the top of the pot and paint it so it looks like a cupcake. You can even at a candle to make it look cute.
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 3:30 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Go buy a craft punch, a circle or square.. whatever you prefer.. and then save your plastic milk cartons. Use the punch to cut out shapes from them and then using modge podge,decoupage pretty paper onto the circles. You can use them to make jewelry (earrings, necklaces, bracelets), hang them from mobiles, make "bead" curtains with them...whatever!

Hmm what else... oragami using newspaper is nice! You can also use the pages of old magazines. You can make paper beads using the pages of magazines and newspaper too - just search google for instructions.

You can make paper.. its really simple. http://www.pioneerthinking.com/makingpaper.html
    Then use it for cards or buy a pretty stamp and make handmade paper notecard sets for your family, include some envelopes and they can use them as they wish!

Handmade cards using recycled materials are always nice.. gather up bits of old fabric, buttons, paper.. and get creative!
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 7:37 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I use old cd's and dvd's and take a hot glue gun and glue things using rocks, moss, pinecones, and all kinds of things I pickup in the woods or even walking down the road. Natural things and I make nature scenes on them. I also sell a lot of those so they really come out nice. And they are so easy to do.

lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 3:45 PM on May. 12, 2009