Would you rather get declawwed or do time in a cage?

I have a cat she used to roam freely in the house til one day we found our expensive leather sofa scratched on :( I was so dissapointed in her she knew better. My dh was so pissed he wanted to kill, get rid of that cat or I will I love her so much the only thing I was able to do is put her in a kennel cage and now that is where she resides :( Atleast I still have her but she does not have that freedom anylonger, besides she is the type that runs and hide so when anyone goes by that she doesn't know she hides inside her litter box (it is a big litter box with a cover) But I know she wants out I do take her out when dh is at work and as soon as I know he is coming I let her know and she'll run to her cage sometimes she just throws herself on the ground like saying aaww mommy do I have to. She is so cute. I'd rather have her in a cage where I can see her than to get her declawwed I have heard scary stuff about that. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Pets

• I would say declawed and she can have a life in the house. No reason to live life in a cage.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• my mom keeps her cat in a cage sometimes but when the cat gets out he is so wild. he has become mean too. i had my siamese cat declawed. only the front paws though. i had no problem with it. she got no infections and her paws felt normal. you just need to follow the directions the vet gives you as far as her liter box.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 2:43 PM on May. 8, 2009

• honestly, I wouldnt just leave the cat in a cage all day, or just let her out when hubby isnt home. she isnt a free-range bird. cats need to exercise, walk around and stretch, maybe put out some scratching posts! if you both cant deal with that, I'd put the cat up for adoption
    Anonymous

• My cat decided one day that he wanted to poop all over the floor when we left. So we put him outside and he hangs out around the house all day. When we are home he can come in. I don't know your situation, but that might be a good alternative to declawing and caging. He is so much more happier of a cat now that he gets to roam his territory.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 2:49 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I have both of my cats declawed because we have a $2000 leather sectional. My vet uses the laser procedure of declawing which is a less harsh procedure and there not cutting the nails out, our cats were running around the house the day after surgery even though the vet wants them to lay low... ya tell a cat that. They had no problems, as long as you use the yesterday news litter or the pine litter. I would suggest getting your cat declawed no cat deserves to be locked up in a cage all the time. I wouldnt advise letting them outside, they can pick up infections and diseases not to mention fleas. And most areas in my state have laws against allowing people to let their animals run they will pick them up and fine you. And I agree... letting your animal run loose just allows for more kittens to be born... and we have enough animals getting killed daily at shelters
    Anonymous

• I have one that is declawed and one that isn't. Two that are, but my mom has adopted one. I wish I had them all declawed. I know there are those that think it's evil, but it's a personal call. Have you tried those glue on claw tips? Those may work, it's worth a shot. I do have to say that I'd declaw if I were you. I think it's worse to keep her in a cage all evening then to declaw. How old is she? Ah, and is she an indoor only cat? Mine are, I don't think they are outside pets. Hell, my dog isn't an outside pet, either!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 3:26 PM on May. 8, 2009

• If you leave a cat locked up they get MEAN. I would get her declared. As long as she is an inside cat she will be ok cause she wont have to defend her self or fight for food. Please do not keep her in a cage for your kids sake. My grandma had a cat that she locked up at times and one day the cat just attacked everyone that was near by.
    CountryMom357

Answer by CountryMom357 at 3:47 PM on May. 8, 2009

• declawing means they cut off the tips of their kitty fingers! You ca actually buy soft caps to go over the nails, they glue on.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 6:55 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Get lots of scratch posts and lace them with catnip. She will leave the sofa alone.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:49 PM on May. 8, 2009

• getting just the two front feet declawed is fine...just not all four! Keep in mind, even if she is an indoor cat, it is always possible for her to get out. If she at least has the back ones, she can still survice outside by "ripping the guts out," that cute thing they do went they have a toy, are on their backs, and kick, kick, kick at the toy.
    blondiefemme

Answer by blondiefemme at 9:03 PM on May. 8, 2009