• In the Spotlight:

To smokers...did you ever smoke while pregnant...even just one?

I was wondering because when i was at my midwifes last. There was a chart on the wall saying if you are a very light smoker the health risks aren't as bad as everyone says.

I'm not condoning smoking while pregnant, just wondering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on May. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I took a few hits in the beginning but I never smoked a whole cigarette while I was pregnant.
    Anonymous

• Maybe thats true I don't have a medical degree so I can't say its not. You just have to remember if that baby has a steady stream of nicotine running threw her blood daily she is going to be born addcited to nicotine. I had a friend who smoked threw out her whole pregnancy and swore her doctor said it was frowned upon but ok as long as it was then half pack a day....Well then she was born and mommy couldn't understand why her baby would just cry and cry. Well she was going threw withdrawl!!! Not to mention all the other harmful things that can occur.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 3:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I was a heavy smoker before I got pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant (we were not trying, I was on birth control and took it like I should) I quit smoking immediately. I miscarried at 20 weeks and the midwife I was seeing said it was from smoking. However, I asked her about the birth control and she said it was not due to the birth control it was due to my smoking. When I got pregnant with my son, I wanted a cigarette so bad(I went back to smoking after my miscarriage), We planned the pregnancy with our son. I never took a hit of any cigarette.

A friend of mine smoked her entire pregnancy (all three of them) and all of her kids have asthma and she still smokes around them. they are 5, 11/2, and 12 weeks old. so sad.

another friend of mine smoked once in a while, probably 10 cigarettes her whole pregnancy and her babies lungs were under developed at 41 weeks and weighed 5lbs. I don't suggest smoking while pregnant.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:06 PM on May. 8, 2009

• N-O!I was a smoker before getting preg and once i got pre I wouldnt even let anyone smoke near me!!
    Anonymous

• yes I did.
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 3:20 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Yes I did, I quit for the first seven months but then I was under so much stress I started smoking again.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:00 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I had a few. But not much at all... and we smoked around her until about two months ago. But I feel awful about it. We have been trying to have another baby for 9 months and if I do have another I will not be anywhere near smoke. My MIL smoked and drank through all 3 of her pregnancies and they were all three over 9 pounds and healthy so I guess sometimes people get lucky. But I feel awful that I took the chance! I quit smoking a few months back... one of the hardest things I've ever done made me SO sick but SOOOO worth it! I hope to goodness I never start again!!!! Now If I can just get my hubby to quit....
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 7:21 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i smoke up to the time i found out i was pregnant, then i stopped till after my firdt born was 6 months. then i started back for 2 years then found out i was pregnant with my 2nd child and quit till she was 4 years old.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 5:29 PM on May. 9, 2009