how do i stop my 4yo to keep on pouring apple juice on the carpet without yelling at her all the time? is just that shes so spoiled by everyone here in the family!!!!

my 4 yo drinks alot of juices and she loves to pour it by herself on her cup and when she pours it, it spills....... thats when oh i get mad and take it away from her!! then she cries and whines!!! ''i told her no more juices for you missy''! i cant stop her to whine and cry at the same time.... what should i do? she says '' i'm a big girl mommy''!!!

filipina99

Asked by filipina99 at 2:59 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell her no pouring drinks. let her do other big girl things like help you put laundry in the washing machine. She ahs to accept no from you now or she never will...put he in her room and go do something else while she cries.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:17 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Don't get so upset, spills happen. Have her pour it at the table, or over the sink, or when she wants to pour it herself have some paper towels under her cup before starting. Put some apple juice into a smaller container for her to pour (a smaller soda bottle or pitcher) into her cup. And don't take something away for an accident, instead, have her help you clean it up. She won't learn if she's being punished for something she didn't intend to do.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:19 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Are you more upset because you don't want her to have too much juice or are you upset because she keeps spilling it? She is right though, she is a big girl and she is becoming more independent. She wants to be able to do things for herself. I would put the amount of juice you will let her have in one day in a container that is a little more easy for her to grip and pour. Show her how to pour properly and where she can pour (for easier clean up because accidents do happen). Once she has finished the juice in the container then explain to her that is it, she can have _______ (water, milk, etc) and have those in easy grip containers as well. Good Luck Momma!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:20 PM on May. 8, 2009

• OH! And a very important thing, the pediatrition and dentist told my mother (currently fostering 3 young children) not to give the children more than 4 oz of juice (any kind) a day because of the sugar levels. Water is much more important, and makes less mess.

The issue doesn't seem like it's about being spoiled...except maybe that she gets a lot of juice. Telling her "No Spilling" when she's not capable of pouring it without a little spill is harsh. Tell her "try not to spill it" and if she does, just have HER clean it up. She will eventually gain the motor skills she needs to pour without spilling.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• At four years old, she needs to begin doing things on her own. Put the juice in a smaller, light container. Give her a glass that doesn't easily tip over or hold it for her.Give her lots of praise even if she spills a drop or two. If it spills all over, tell her it's ok, everyone has accidents. I still spill my share of things. She needs to feel good about herself, to feel capable of doing things for herself and when she does she will have less spills.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 3:25 PM on May. 8, 2009

• "Don't get so upset, spills happen. Have her pour it at the table, or over the sink, or when she wants to pour it herself have some paper towels under her cup before starting."

That is what I do with my 3 year old. I give him opportunities to practice his new skills where a little spill won't become a big problem. If he wants to pour his juice, we do it together over the sink.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:00 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Open your dishwasher and let her use the open door as a low table where she can pour her juice. Whatever spills just goes right into the dishwasher. Consider making a rule that food and drink stays at the table.Give her lots of praise for being a "neater eater". I tell my daycare girls that princesses try to eat without making a mess (everyone has accidents sometimes and that's ok) and they always use napkins :) I hope that helps...Good luck!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 7:20 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Also, if you are concerned about the amount of juice she is getting, you could cut it with water. Every time, you pour some juice out, pour more water in. That way the juice is slowly losing "strength" until it's at about 1/2 water and 1/2 juice.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 7:23 PM on May. 8, 2009

• she should be drinking lots of water, and little or no juice.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:54 PM on May. 8, 2009

• make her sit at the table with it and only put a little in it
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:29 AM on May. 9, 2009