Would you trust an obese dietician with your health?

I over heard some comments the other day which had me thinking how can you trust someone to help you lose weight and eat healthy if they are not small but infact obese and for argument sake had no health condition that may be slowing a weightloss.
Do you feel a hospital or eating disorder place should consider this as being a bad "practice what you preach policy?"
I know i seen at one time a heavy dietician and got bad advice than seen a more fit person and got better results now thinking back it has me questioning this conversation to seem true.
Do you wonder this when you see healthcare professional that smoke near the hospital and you enter and they are to care for your health ,should they know better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Health

• Yes i am sure they know better but just because they don't follow their own rules doesn't mean it makes them any less of a doctor or dietitian. it is the same as a doctor who smokes to tell you it is unhealthy for you to smoke. the doctors are looking out for your best interests and not their own. it is their choice. there is no reason why you shouldn't take their advise. it may make them hypocritical but they are still licensed to practice for a reason.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:30 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Obese Dietician..LOL It would be hard to take their advice. now a heavy nurse or smoking nurse..they are human doing their job. We all know what is healthy but we just don't do it...doesn't mean they wouldn't give good care.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:31 PM on May. 8, 2009

• lol. I'm a nutriton major, soon to be a dietitian. I have frequently wondered if people would take the advice from an overweight dietitian the same as they would from a fit dietitian. So here is the answer I came up with. First, there is more to health than size. Being overweigh does not necessarily mean they are also unhealthy. Second, It would depend on what kind of advice you wanted. People see dietitians for millions of reasons other than weight loss. Would I talk to an obese dietitian about weight loss? No, probably not. But I would talk to her about other nutritional concerns.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 3:32 PM on May. 8, 2009

• To PP but if she or he is obese than not only your weightloss but nutritional needs may not be best advised since it would seem there lifestyle was not the best which is why your paying money to get the best help you can.
    Anonymous

• Just because they dont take their own advice doesnt mean they cant give great advice, they just arent interested in following themselves. Trust me, there is A LOT to becoming a dietitian and most people who can get through all of the school and training do have good advice to give. There are a few exceptions though.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 3:34 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I guess for me if someone can't practice what they preach than they do not believe it either so hard to trust and follow any advice since they are only doing the job for the money than and to not help others,so i feel it's a poor excuse in this case to not follow what you say.
    Anonymous

• "I know i seen at one time a heavy dietician and got bad advice than seen a more fit person and got better results now thinking back it has me questioning this conversation to seem true."

I had to read that, like 4 times, before I could fully decifer what you meant to say.

Anonymous

• I know i seen at one time a heavy dietician and got bad advice than seen a more fit person and got better results now thinking back it has me questioning this conversation to seem true."

I had to read that, like 4 times, before I could fully decifer what you meant to say

I understood the point right away,i guess anyone will try to find an excuse to justify bad behavior, on their behalf.
    Anonymous

• I see your point, however...example: I am a pepsi-aholic =) I drink probably two cans a day. Would I ever tell anyone who came into my office to drink two cans of pop a day? No, of course not. There would be some people I would tell they shouldnt drink ANY pop (diabetics and renal pts.) Does that mean I am only in it for the money? No. I'm in it because i care about the health of others which is why I wouldnt give them the same diet I follow. By the way I am not fat! =)
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:04 PM on May. 8, 2009

• that person might just have a health issue not related to eating too much that caused them to gain weight. just because someone is obese doesn't mean they ate themself that way.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:14 AM on May. 9, 2009