too smart for preschool?

my daughter will be finishing up her 1st year of preschool in 2 weeks. She is not even turning 4 until June. She is the youngest in her class of 8 children and far ahead on the "learning curve" I originally decided to sign her up for preschool for the "social" experience. She is a very shy child and I thought this would help her to come out of her shell a little. AND IT DID! She is a little chatterbox, social butterfly friendly outgoing and everyone at school loves her. The thing is that the work is not challenging enough and she is often bored at school. She complains everything is too easy. The last few weeks the kids have been learning numbers. I asked the teacher what my daughter should be able to count up to and I said she can count to 30. The teacher laughed and said "oh we only go up to 10 because that is the kindergarten requirement" - is she too smart for preschool and what do i do to challenge her??

MOMMIE-O

Asked by MOMMIE-O at 3:42 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• teach her yourself. do what they do in her preschool class just more advanced. I am happy to hear she can count to 30. my son is 3 and can count to 10 and backwards. my 18 month old can count to 3...but you should do it yourself. still let her go to school so she can socialize but if they don't want to put her in the pre k class then do it on your own. if she is that smart she may be able to by pass kindergarten all together. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:45 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I would go to Wal-Mart or where ever and get those work books they have them from pre-school up to grade school. I would get some for pre-school age and on up. You can get flash cards too. My son has some that you have to put two cards together and they make a picture and you have to "guess" the word. Like to halves of a blanket. My son loves it. Good luck!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 3:47 PM on May. 8, 2009

• keep working with her at home.... my 3 almost 4 year old is working on kindergarten stuff now. Next year when he goes to pre-k it will be just social time (that is if I send him to pre-k at all)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:51 PM on May. 8, 2009

• oh yeah.... and starfall.com is a great site! Our elementary school is using starfall and my preschooler loves it!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:52 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Get some of the Kindergarten work books. Thats what my parents did for us because all three of us tested out of preschool. 20 years ago, in Colorado, you had to test to get into preschool because they had too many kids. At least in our town anyway. They would do a little knowledge test and if you were too low you couldn't go and they sent home work books to work on to get you up to proficiency. If you were too high, you couldn't go and they actually encouraged our parents not to do anything so that we weren't too far ahead of the classmates in Kinder. Well, we all go so sad that we couldn't go to school that they got us all Kindergarten work books. We did those with my mom when we would have been in preschool. And then they started me in Kinder a year early. I was like 4 days past the cut off, so they lied about my birthday so I technically started Kindergarten when I was 4.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:53 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I can't say what YOU should do for HER, I can only say what we're doing....

My preschooler is doing 1st grade work but he still went to preschool. I sent him there for the social experience (which he really needs because of his challenges) and I work with him at his pace at home. His teacher knows of his challenges and of his cognitive abilities and we lucked out that she is great working with him more on his level.

My 3 year old is doing kindergarten work and will start an integrated preschool in the fall for 3 year olds. (he doesn't turn 4 until December) Again, the teachers and his therapists know about his cognitive and academic abilities and will work with him at his level (the best they can with 11 other students! lol) I will continue to work with him here at home.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:03 PM on May. 8, 2009

• We have a couple of different "Word World" sets and he likes to take the letters and make words. I put words together and he sounds them out. He loves it!! (the show too! lol)

TiccledBlue

• thanks everyone! We do a lot of worksheets, flashcards, letter games at home also....right now she is reading a few short books on her own and learning to add....she has another year of preschool before kindergarten and I'm just not sure if the 3 hrs at preschool 3 days a week will be wasted time for her...

MOMMIE-O

Answer by MOMMIE-O at 4:15 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I don't think she's going to get too bored if she's only going 3 days a week. It's a nice little break for her and time with her friends. She'll be fine.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:38 PM on May. 8, 2009

• The learning company makes great software and workbooks (the software is cheapest on ebay; get the workbooks from borders when the send out 20% off (or more) coupons).
    Is there a university near you that has enrichment classes for gifted students? We sent our daughter to classes here - www.ctd.northwestern.edu - while she was in a waiting list for a gifted program. CTD also has great resources for parents.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 PM on May. 8, 2009