Madicaid anyone?

I am trying to get medicaid because I'm and pregnant. They wont let me apply without giving them my parents personal info(bank account numbers, propety info, vehicle info ect.) I'm not even applying for them, so why is it that they have to have all of that? I'm living with them and thats the extent of it. They aren't helping me with money or anything... I'm so fed up with it! They told me that they wont be able to go over it for 2 months(they are behind) and it takes up to 45 days to aprove it... I will be almost 7 months pregnant then and I can't wait that long! Anyone have any advice?

DMEMcDuffie09

Asked by DMEMcDuffie09 at 3:47 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They require you to give the information on your parents because you are living with them, and they use their financial information towards your approval or disapproval. They want to make sure your not capable to be getting help at home, rather then on state aid. This would also prove to be the same case when it comes to food stamps and wic. Im not surprised that they are behind with some many people being unemployed, there are more people applying and needing the help.

Anonymous

• Are you underage? That probably has something to do with it!
    Anonymous

• They did the SAME EXACT thing to me. We live with my aunt and grandpa, my aunt is the ONLY one who works, I'm pregnant, yet my husband, 2 kids and I didn't qualify! WTF??? So what we did is went to another county, said we lived with dh's mom (even though our DL's say where we live and they wanted copys of that), and were accepted no problems! They did ask why our DL;s said we lived in one place and we claimed to live in another, and we just told them the truthm that we really do live where the DL's say, and why...and they were ok with it.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 3:54 PM on May. 8, 2009

• since you are living with family they will use the total income of everyone in the family to determine if you qualify. they may not being "giving" you money but they are providing you with housing, food, water, electric, etc.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 3:57 PM on May. 8, 2009

• In WI if you live @ hm and are under 23 they look at parents. DH and I stayed with my mom when I was pregnant with our second and I was 21. Even though DH was 28 they looked at my mom's info as well. Since my little sister lived there as well we did get assistance. They said b/c under 23 you are collage aged and think you may be living @ home while you go to school, so parents are still responsible for you. Now if I moved home they'd only look at my own family since I'm 25.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:09 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Usually they have to go with the total household income no matter who you live with. If your parents dont help you then you should let them know and the office usually makes you have them sign a statement stating that you are responsible for you own bills/food or if they charge you rent. Also as others said your age and state may have different rules. In Indiana most of the time if you are pregnant you can get medicaid if you are or not working because I worked part-time while i was pregnant with my first and was able to get medicaid and I was only 19
    Elesha1981

Answer by Elesha1981 at 4:17 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Because to qualify for medicaid you have to make under a certain amount and have under a certain amount of assests....anyone you live with COUNTS, so if they make too much you will not qualify. I've been in the same boat for 2 years, thankfully once I move in with my fiance I WILL qualify because he makes significantly less than my parents!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:04 PM on May. 8, 2009

• You need to apply for Medicaid for Pregnant Women. It's different from regular medicaid. When I went to the office and told them that, they sent me to the Health Department to get on Healthy Start (I believe thats what it was) so that I could be covered until the medicaid kicked in. Try that :)

SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 6:12 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Oh, they also didn't ask for as much info.
    SandraB383

• I'm 20... They told me they need that info incase they decided to stop paying for my bills, they could pull from my parents... Don't think thats fair! The app. also said that no one that was being registered counted for anything, but they go by my rents income? I applied for Pregnant Medicaid and this is where I'm at now! Its just frustraiting!
    DMEMcDuffie09

Answer by DMEMcDuffie09 at 10:35 PM on May. 8, 2009