For Homeschoolers

Someone in my family homeschools and i often wonder if it is because she is an "in charge" and perfectionist type person so she has to micromanage everything her kids do. Dont get me wrong she is nice and has great kids...has anyone else seen this to be the case. I am not bashing just wondering if that is why alot of people homeschool..if the mom's have an "everything is in order" personality. i am very involved in my childs life and think more people need to be proactive with their kids..but Im trying to understand the motivation behind schooling your own kids & not wanting to let them go to regular school.This is not meant to be a bash of homeschooling..I would just like to understand the mother's more who choose to do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I want to becuase my son is not learning at the level he should be. He is super smart, but, is being dumbed down. The classes are full and even the teachers agree he is really smart and not getting what he needs. He doesn't make the best grades because he is bored and loses interest in their teaching. They are too busy teaching to the test anddealing with discipline issues. I know I could teach him better because we would have one on one instruction, I could go more indepth if needed or move on if he gets it instead of going over it again.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:01 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Thanks for the answer. Her children have never been in school, and if they go to sunday school then she will take on being in charge of the program...nice to have a different perpective.
    Anonymous

• The school system in our district sucks. It ranks #49 in the country and every year they cut the budget more and there is always a teachers strike.
    They also dont teach worth a darn and only care about numbers not real education.

My son is VERY bright and right now he's not ready to be put in there and have that flame go out. I want his light to shine and get brighter and right now...it wouldnt.

Im not a micromanager, perfectionist time AT ALL. But after mulling this over for well over a year I feel its in his best interest for us to do it this way.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:49 PM on May. 8, 2009

• She may be just worried. And she might be like you think. Not all are.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:07 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Children who are home schooled tend to score higher on tests than those in public schools. It's a wonderful option, especially if you can't afford a private school. Just make sure that your child has chances to socialize. I plan on homeschooling for at least the first few years, but I also plan on taking part in 'homeschooler play dates'. I also plan on taking my child to the museum, theater, etc and have them learn from not only myself but from other knowledgeable people that I know. It's never good to have a very restricted and isolated homeschooling program.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 7:26 PM on May. 8, 2009