Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


i had a child with my ex husband dd is less than 3 months old now. he hasnt been there for us since i found out i was pregnant. he moved another girl in and he hasnt seen me or my child the entire time. hes not on the birth certificate and hasnt seen or asked about her yet. im going to be marrying my bf who is in navy and i was just wondering if he can fight to claim her on his taxes. my bf and i are the ones that provide for her and she will be going on his military insurance. if he does try to see her later on...will it look bad on his part that he hasnt been around? like will a judge be more on our side?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • can he fight to claim her on his taxes? yes, he can fight for whatever he wants. Will he win? Probably not since he has not provided any of the financial support.
    Will it look bad? Yes, but not enough that a judge wont give him partial custody unless you can prove that he is an unfit parent.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 3:54 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • He would have to adopt her to legally claim her on his taxes. Doesn't matter if the birthfather is around or not. If you don't have the father on the birth cert. it might be easier to go thru the adoption. Although, they might want to "look" for the father so he can release his rights.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:00 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • See thats what I hate about the justice system... man will have nothing to do with his child, but as soon as he you tryed to get child support or another guy wants to be the father that he should be, then he will be allowed to have rights and crap like that if he trys to. The best thing to do is go file for full custody of your child and go from there.

    Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • hello.. he has to prove you unfit to get anything number one.. two no he cant claim her.. three: when you get married you and your navy man has full rights, he has non.. unless theres a doc stating that he is his, bloodtest anything like this, he can try to fight for some joint rights but guessing hes not going to try or care if its been this long and nothing.. no worries mama, judges love to beat down dead beat dads.. TRUST ME!!

    Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:09 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • lol i hope not. the guy that im with now was my bf for awhile years ago and then we split and i made a mistake marrying that jerk and now the first guy and i are back togther like we shouldve been all along. he loves her like his own...its the cutest thing. my ex husband is busy doing drugs and running around and paying for his gfs kid...but his friends keep saying he wants to see her and go to court. so far it hasnt happened but shes in a much better environment with us then she ever would be with him. i know that if he tries he can see her but im hoping a judge will see that he hasnt helped us with anything and be a little harder on him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on May. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
For Homeschoolers