should my friend be alarmed????

her 20 month old baby isnt talking.
but he understands everything, and he def knows how to get his point across.
he can say a few words (dada, no, stop etc.)but doesnt make any effort to make sentences. i just think he isnt speaking yet, but she is thinking he may need speech therapy. wht do u say?

StarrCooKie

Asked by StarrCooKie at 4:01 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had a friend with a kid like that. My son was speaking full on paragraphs by that age and she was hoping for any words. She took her kid to the hearing and speech doctor and they said nothing was wrong with him. He did eventually start to talk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:03 PM on May. 8, 2009

• She may want to take him to have his hearing checked. Are the parents talking to him a lot?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:03 PM on May. 8, 2009

• That's too early to expect a 20 month old to make sentences. He sounds like he is on track. Around 2 is when they start putting words together.

Anonymous

• He sounds fine to me.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:07 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Around 18 months, he should have a vocabulary of about 20 words or so, and start putting together 2 or 3 word phrases if I can remember right. My 14 month old has about 10-15 words she says regularly. I would say she should perhaps get him checked out by a specialist to make sure it isn't a hearing problem or perhaps something developed differently with his tongue or something. I had a friend whose little boy was very slow to speak. The doctor noticed that the skin on the underside of his tongue that connected to the bottom of the mouth was too short. It was very difficult for him to form words because of this. Or he may just be a slow learner. That happens to. And if he isn't getting spoken too, he will much slower to speak. He learns from that, other people talking to him. It is really too early to tell if it is a concern, but it wouldn't hurt for him to checked out by a specialist.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:12 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if she is concerned she can always have him checked out to make sure there isn't an underlying issue causing his quietness.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:13 PM on May. 8, 2009

• sounds fine to me 2. but by that age my daughter was also speaking sentences and very clearly. Im actually not sure how they interact withhim at home though. i guess we will just have to wait n see. thanx Ladies
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 4:13 PM on May. 8, 2009

• What do you mean he isn't speaking?! You listed a few words. That's speaking!

At 2 years, it is expected that they have about 50 words and are starting to use two word phrases.

She should keep her pediatrician informed and if she is very concerned, an Early Intervention evaluation won't hurt at all! I have two in speech therapy (one since 23 months, one since just before turning 3)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:14 PM on May. 8, 2009

• 20 months is too early to be worried by the lack of sentences or even phrases.
    He should have at least 10 words that he uses at this point.
    By 24 months he should have at least 50 and most kids will be starting to use 2 word phrases... more milk... though it will sound more like "mo me".
    By 30 months he should have sentences that are 4 to 5 words long.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:32 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Does he have a swallowing problem or did he when he was a baby, or did he have alot of reflux issues. if he did than speech therapy is probably needed if not and he passed his infant hearing screen then i would not worry about it My daughter could say anything and everything by that age but now i have a daughter that has had swallowing problems and is in speech because of that and she doesn't make out works she can babble though. As long as he is showing some signs of talking then i would not worry to much about it and you cannot really compare him to other kids. Not to say that he is or anything kids with mild autism speak slower than other boys typically and autisim is not usually diagnased until around the age of 2
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 4:35 PM on May. 8, 2009