Who doesn't like playing with their children?

I am a SAHM and I feel so guilty but I just don't like to sit in the floor and play with my DD. She is 3 and I have never been in to it. She is an only child and is use to playing by herself. I would rather be doing something else like cleaning, being on computer etc. I love her dearly and show her lots of affection! Does this make me a bad mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on May. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope, I felt the same way. My son is now 13 and still likes to be by himself. He is very independent which is good for later in life. He does his own thing and doesn't care what anyone else thinks. We had more fun just cuddling and watching tv or movies and talking. We would also snuggle on the couch and read books. Went for walks or played at the park.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:09 PM on May. 8, 2009

• No... it just makes you a grownup. Its hard to be an adult and get on the mind level of a child. I would suggest you play with her every once in awhile. You don't have to enjoy it, but she will love it! and it can go a long way for your bond together.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:09 PM on May. 8, 2009

• no.. thats crazy talk.. kids are a pain.. LOL just kidding..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:11 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I don't think you are a bad mom, but that is really not the priority now.  What I get concerned about is when adults are not willing to enter a child's world, it may not affect them now but it can build walls later.  What you see as showing her lots of affection she may not see that way.  Also I think you cheat yourself out of really knowing your daughter.  She will only be young once and you might find you enjoy the break from the adult world.

If I were in the same boat, I would look at why I don't like to play.  Am I just too focused on my adult tasks?  Too serious to lighten up and relax? 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:13 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i have twins thank god they tend to play together... or not...
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 4:15 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I love playing with my kids sometimes. Then sometimes, I just cannot get into it. And we went through a really hard time with my stepson where no matter what we did while playing, we were doing it wrong and he would get angry. We worked through that, but because of that, I think I went 8 months without ever playing with him. Give yourself 30 minutes of play time a day. Take her outside and run around with her if you don't want to get on the floor and color or whatever she is doing. Or pull her up on the couch and tickle her or make a new game. We play torture of a thousand kisses. I throw my stepson over my shoulder, then lay him on the couch and blow kisses all over. He loves it, it is good exercise, and I think its good for our relationship.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:17 PM on May. 8, 2009

• It's not that I don't like palying with my child, it's that I get so bored and sick of playing the same games and with the same toys over and over again. Mine is an only child and is able to keep occupied just playing alone. I feel really guilty at times that I just don't get into playing.
    Anonymous

• I have a hard time with pretend play.... but as my kids get older we are able to do more stuff together that I enjoy doing too. (like baking, painting, crafting, gardening, and such) Even my 3yo can do simple stuff in the kitchen, and he's pretty good with helping in the garden.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I love playing with my daughter. That is one of the best parts of being her mom. We play dress up, she does my makeup. We play with legos and we color. It is great fun. The only thing that I have never gotten into are barbies. I don't like playing dolls. I never did when I was her age either. But my husband plays barbies with her! He is great.

I don't think you are a BAD mom but I think playing on the floor with your kids is important for their development and bonding time with you.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 4:32 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I feel the same way sometimes..but then I try to think of the future and think I might regret not playing with them enough when they were little. It reminds me of the Trace Adkins song that says "you're gonna miss this, you're gonna want this back." Try to mix up your play time or incorporate some activities YOU like into play time. I was feeling guilty because I like to watch Dancing with the Stars and I didn't want to ignore my son while I was watching so I would dance around the living room with him! You're not a bad mom. Good luck!
    Anonymous