How long did you keep baby monitor?

My DD turned 3 in Dec. and I still have it in her room. She sleeps in her toddler bed (front off crib) and I do not let her get out of the bed until she calls for me. I don't want her to think it is ok to get up and play during nap or to be coming to my room in the middle of the night. So I keep the monitor so I can hear her in case she needs to use the restroom or so I can hear her wake up in case I am outside. Is this crazy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on May. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• no.. what if a storm comes???? you need to hear if shes freakd or not.. im keepin mine till JB is 5, thats when i took out DUDES..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:15 PM on May. 8, 2009

• no, it isn't crazy.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:16 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My kids are 8 and 10, and they still have monitors in their rooms.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 4:18 PM on May. 8, 2009

• We used one with my son until he was 4 and then we moved into the new place. This place is built so much differently, the living room, and both bedroom are right next to each other, so I can hear him whispering in his bedroom from the living room with the TV on. We never used one with our daughter because her crib is in our room and again, I can hear her with no problem from the living room. If our house was built differently, probably would have been about 5 before we stopped using them.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:26 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Mine will be 3 in a couple of months and I still have one. I feel that if she needs me in the night, why should SHE have to come get ME? She can just holler for me if she needs me - even if it's just a lost blankie. The monitor just ensures that I can hear her when she yells and lets me keep an ear on her to make sure she isn't playing or getting in trouble in the night.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My daughter is 10 months old and I only use the monitor if I am in the other end of the house and even then I hardly ever use it anymore. She is LOUD and I always here her. Her bedroom is RIGHT next to mine so there is no problem hearing her then either. My mom didn't use a monitor when I was little (living in this same house by the way lol) and I was just fine. My daughter will be fine too... =]
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 7:17 PM on May. 8, 2009

• WOW!! I would never make my child stay in his bed until I tell him he can get up. What if she were to get scared, have to use the bathroom, or gets sick during the night and you don't hear her. What happens if there is a fire and you can't get to her? She stays in bed until someone finds her and it's too late? Sorry, I wouldn't do that.

As for the monitor, not very long. His room was right next to mine and I could hear what he was doing for the most part. If he needed me, he came to me, otherwise if he got up before I did, he would just get out of bed and play quietly in his room with his toys or crawl into bed with me and cuddle. He would bring his blankie and stuffed animals and we would just relax for a litlte while. I loved waking up to his little happy face in mine.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:43 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Took it out when he was one. When he wants me at night now, he wakes up, gets out of bed, gathers up his blanket, pillow, and toys and comes to mommy and daddy's bed.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:57 PM on May. 8, 2009