i was soooooo ANNOYED!!!

my daughter is 3. her friend who is about 6 weeks younger always seemed to be so far behind her developmentally. but who am i to judge right???
now its getting scarey, this child spent the night with me the other night.
my daughter n I have something like a morning routine. I knew her presence would throw us off a lil, just because there would be an xtra person involved. anyway long story short. my daughter dresses herself every morning and this child could not even take her own shirt off. she tried taking her arms out through the head of the shirt, had no idea how to put her underwear on, could not put on her undershirt or t shirt w/o help... i mean even if someone has been dressing you all this time shouldnt you have an idea of how things go by now. i just couldnt believe that i literally had to dress her. needless to say i was super late to work.
would this drive u crazy??? or is it just me?

StarrCooKie

Asked by StarrCooKie at 4:21 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am not going to be mean or anything...but if you have been taking care of this girl since she was 1 wouldn't you know what she can and can't do and would compensate for each? I mean if I had a child who can't dress herself yet, I would try to rush past other things to make time for that. Or give them baths at night so my morning weren't as rushed? I can understand where some people are coming from on here by being upset with what you are saying. Not from what you said but perhaps how it came across....It sounds like you have a good heart to do these things for this woman, but maybe you should talk to the mom. Just by suggesting something like "ya know a fun way I taught my DD to dress herself was to do...." But we all do parent different and maybe she just doesn't know what she is supposed to do. But you did come across as harsh which if you look past the words and "read" what you are saying, you have a good heart...
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 7:34 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I don't see that it matters that much, you only had to deal with it once, if the other mother doesn't want to teach her dd to dress herself, than she's the one that'll have to deal with it. You don't have to watch her if you don't want to.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 4:25 PM on May. 8, 2009

• my son will be 4 in a few days and he is just now getting the hang of dressing himself.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:26 PM on May. 8, 2009

• If that were the first time I knew about the delay, I'd be more worried than annoyed for sure. If the child's nice and friendly not destructive just teach your daughter that people do things at different times all through life. That kind of strength of attitude is good for when dd is in school and your neighbor and daughter will appreciate it too.
    Anonymous

• Possibly she is just a little slower, as you said. Now you know. If she stays again you can allow extra time.

Answer by Bmat at 4:27 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Even if the child has seen it done, she still needs to be taught how to dress and undress herself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:27 PM on May. 8, 2009

• One night with you and you're complaining about having to dress her? If you can't stand taking care of other people's kids then don't have them stay the night. How is she supposed to learn if no one has taught her or taken the time to show her how. It sounds like you didn't try to teach her either by saying, "this is how you tell if your shirt is the right way, etc."
    Anonymous

• What's the big deal again?
    Anonymous

• oh yeah..... and even though he knows all his ABCs, colors, shapes, and can count to twenty.... he still puts his pants and underwear on backwards! (and his shoes too!) 

I'm glad your not my friend.... because if my kid came to play with your kid.... you would be "soooooo ANNOYED!!!"

Maybe you just need to take a chill pill mommy.....

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:30 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Hmm. My daughter has been helping get herself dressed since she was about a year. You know, holding out her feet when it is time for socks, getting her arms up toward the sleeves of the shirt, that sort of thing. My son was about 3 or so when he was doing it all by himself, with the exception of tank tops, he would always get his head in an arm hole or something difficult, like tight buttons. She is probably just a little slow, I would have thought the parents would have explained to you better what was required to get her ready for school or whatever in the morning. I think this could be a good opportunity for your daughter though, as Anon:27 pointed out.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:31 PM on May. 8, 2009