Talking to kids about sex

I need to talk to my daughter about sex is there a website i can get some information from?

jesslyne

Asked by jesslyne at 4:34 PM on May. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 5-8?? i dont feel ready to tell my dd she is 7...how old is your dd?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:35 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Good for you! So many parents feel that even 8 is too young but they forget that these girls go to school with older kids who are telling them stuff (wrong stuff) and that they are bombarded with sexual images and content all day long. NOT talking to them simply teaches them that you are not a good source of information - exactly the wrong message for the years to come.

What can you do? I'd suggest getting a copy of "The Care and Keeping of You" as a starting point. Let her know that you will always answer any questions she has.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:38 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I agree with kaycee14. I started talking to my kids about sex and respect and sex bad good touch when they were really really young, younger than 5. I did it matter of factly. And I explained why mommy's and doctors, nurses look at privates maybe sometimes daddy's.
    Anonymous

• shes 6 years old but is very smart. she has older cousins an im sure behind closed doors they dont talk the way they should so i think its my responsibility to talk to her about it. regardless of the age....kids see way to much on tv an stuff. I just want her to know whats wrong an right.
    jesslyne

Answer by jesslyne at 4:50 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Oprah did a show on this not too long ago...one of her bests...maybe you can see if it is on her website, or youtube!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 5:46 PM on May. 8, 2009

• This is part of a lifelong series of conversations that begin with teaching your child the proper names for body parts and bodily functions. By the time a child is five, she should know her "private square", or good touch/bad touch. Child-led conversations are really best, though if you haven't discussed body by age 8 and menstruation by 9, you will need to initiate these conversations. Keep your ears open for teachable moments, like learning about a pregnancy, or that an older cousin bought her first bra.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:07 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Good for you, Momma! I use the earliest opportunity possible to start talking to my kids about sex. A litter of puppies, a pregnant woman, whatever. If we don't teach them, someone will. You already have all the info you need. Just answer her questions age appropriately & according to the values you want to instill in her & don't be uncomfortable. Recently when my 8 year old son asked about a conversation I was having with a girlfriend about our periods, I told him it had to do with ovulation & menstruation & asked him if he needed me to explain anything else to him. He already thoroughly understands it, I just think its funny to see him roll his eyes at me.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 7:40 AM on May. 9, 2009