Has anyone here ever tried Sylvan Learning Center for their child?

If so what is the price and was it worth it? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on May. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My parents did probably 10 yrs ago for my brothers...they said it was amazing! helped alot
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:36 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My sister 's stepdaughter goes to Sylvan. She has gone from a reading at a first grade level to reading at a third grade level. She is dyslexic with ADHD and was held back in Kindergarten. She should be in third grade by age, but until she went to Sylvan, she wasn't really ready for 1st. They sent her through to first, and then to second, but she got so far behind and was so frustrated that she couldn't do it that she gave up. Now she reads for fun. I am not sure what they pay, but she said that if she had it do over again, she would definitely do it again. I know that my sister and her husband pay half and her biological mom pays half, but I still am not sure how much that is. She also does math through Sylvan, but I am not sure what her improvement there was.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:50 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Okay, my sister says that they pay total between both parents about $400 a month for two hours a day/two times a week.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:53 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I live in Alaska and the cost of living is higher up here, but I called about a month ago to start my daughter in a math program 2 times a week and they wanted $800 a month. We are a one income military family, That is 1/4 of our pay. IDK who can afford that!
    ajnattysmommy

Answer by ajnattysmommy at 8:15 PM on May. 8, 2009

• You have to be careful with Sylvan. They say the teacher's are all certified but they're not. They pay the tutors so little that most teachers won't work there. My friend worked their and she's a secretary. They told her not to mention that she wasn't a real teacher to anyone.

They run off a structured program so lots of kids see results, but IMO it's a rip off. Finding a good private tutor will cost you less and your child can get just as much help.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:34 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I feel the same way as some of the others here, it may work for some but it is very expensive, i had my son tested there, which did give us alot of insight about where he needs help. then i hired a privite tutor to help him.
    J.Ann96

Answer by J.Ann96 at 9:14 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I work at one and went to one as a child and truly believe in what they do. They have specialized programs so your child works on only what they need and not what they already know. Also we get students that have tried many other tutoring places and end up at are because it works. Your child's math or reading skills will improve by one full grade level equivalent in only 36 hours of instruction, or we'll give you an additional 12 hours of instruction free.My center, depending out you pay is between $38 and $50 an hour. We show proof our teachers are credential.
    Cheeks1love

Answer by Cheeks1love at 12:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2009