Would you be surprised if the name you gave your child made the Top 10 list of 2008?

Every year the Social Security Administration compiles the rankings based on the names of babies applying for Social Security numbers. (Most children receive their numbers at birth.)

More than 4.2 million births were registered in 2008. The rankings are based strictly on spelling, not how the name sounds. That’s why the names Kaitlin, Kaitlyn, Kaitlynn, Katelin, Katelyn, Katelynn and Katlyn are considered separate entries. (In 2007, Kaitlin ranked Number 421.)

The latest Top 10 names for baby girls, based on 2008 statistics:
Emma
Isabella
Emily
Madison
Ava
Olivia
Sophia
Abigail
Elizabeth
Chloe

The Top 10 names for baby boys:
Jacob
Michael
Ethan
Joshua
Daniel
Alexander
Anthony
William
Christopher
Matthew

(http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30624090/?GT1=43001)

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 5:08 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My son isn't in the top ten. His name is Lee. It's not very common I don't think. He was named after his grandfather!!
    JLee07

Answer by JLee07 at 5:17 PM on May. 8, 2009

• well im glad my son isnt the top ten... i don't want him having a name that everyone else has... his is still pretty common...Julian.... but you don't hear it everyday :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:10 PM on May. 8, 2009

• if you mean for 2009 (since the 2008 list is already out!) then, yes! I would be shocked if Stella or Augustus made the 2009 list....

My oldest has been on the list since she was born ten years ago.... Emily
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:12 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My son is there, but my daughter isn't. However, my sons name is spelled differently than the traditional.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:16 PM on May. 8, 2009

• nope danielle ,jennifer and jessica,but they were all popular during there time period...like my daughter says they are cheerleader names.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 5:17 PM on May. 8, 2009

• None of my children are on the list, either.
    Sylvia, Samantha, and Katherine.

I was truly surprised at some of the name, though, that turned up on the list. They are very nice!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:19 PM on May. 8, 2009

• im happy my boys don't have common names martenes and desmond i don't like common names
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 5:19 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I think that the traditional spelling of my son's name is in the top 50. I would be surpised if it was in the top 10!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 5:20 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My sons name will probably never make it to the top 10. If it did I would be completely shocked!! His name is Latrell.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 5:21 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I think Caleb is up in the top 20. *shrugs*I didn't pick it cause it's popular lol. we liked the story of Caleb in the Bible
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 5:24 PM on May. 8, 2009