When is the earliest baby's lungs are usually mature?

Is it 37 weeks? I went for my 34 weeks check up yesterday and I was told my son already weights 6.5 lbs!!! Thankfully my dr. said she thinks I'll have him by 38 weeks!

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 5:17 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• about 37-38 weeks gestation
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 5:19 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I had my son at 37 weeks and his lungs were fine.

If there is any concern about that, your doctor can give you a shot of steroids that will develop them quicker.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:20 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My sons lungs was fully developed at 7 months. I guess he's a lucky boy?
    Anonymous

• I had my youngest son at 34 weeks, he was a small baby 5.5 oz but perfectly healthy and well developed lungs, that kid could cry...and cry really loud! Congrats and good luck with the baby! I am 31 weeks just right behind you, how exciting!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:51 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I had my son at 34weeks and his lungs were fully developed. I had my daughter at 30 weeks she did alright at first but then needed help....From all my research 34 weeks is when most babies have fully developed lungs but not all obviously. Although babies at 34 can still have sucking problems you know to eat my son struggled with that but he only had to stay in the nicu 7 days he did very well he weighed 4lbs 6 oz at birth and only need to learn to suck to eat. Also remember just b/c the u/s says ur baby is 6lbs doesnt mean he/she is. They said my daughter one born at 30weeks was 5lbs and she was 3lbs 2oz...u/s can always be easily a pound off rather it is more or less then what it says. Congrats on your pregnancy and I hope you have a good delivery with a healthy happy baby.
    mom2twopreemies

Answer by mom2twopreemies at 5:58 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Lungs are developed at 7 months and if its premiere (not that im saying in your case) but they have better chance of surviving .
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 6:00 PM on May. 8, 2009

• The lungs are by far not the only thing to consider. You need to think about other organs, liver, kidneys..are they mature? also preemies have a harder time with sucking and feeding sometimes. I know this because my 3 1/2 week old son came at exactly 36 weeks and he spent a week in the nicu...trust me, I know its miserable at the end of preg, but do not ruch it. Nothing is worse than having to leave the hospital without your baby...so try to hang in as long as you can.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:11 PM on May. 8, 2009

• every baby is different, but girls develop faster then boys
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:56 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i had my ds 2 mts ago he was born at 37 weeks 6lbs8z i had dd at 38 wks
    bothewere healthy
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:58 PM on May. 8, 2009