My son won't fall asleep unless someone is in the room with him. How can I break him of that?

He's only 15 months old. My boyfriend and I moved in together in February and my son had some sleep issues in the new house. After about a month he was fine. Went to sleep with no problems at all. Now all of a sudden my boyfriend or I have to be in the room for him to fall asleep. It can't be anyone else if he's sleeping at home. And he's waking up in the middle of the night again. Every time he wakes up I have to go in his room and lay on the floor or he freaks out!!! How can I break him of this??

IrishMomma727

Asked by IrishMomma727 at 5:20 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sit in his room in a chair but don't say anything. Each night move the chair back further and further away from him and towards the door and eventually so you are out in the hallway. Try it, sometimes it works.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:12 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I agree with pp ecxept talk to him every few mins to let him know you are there, but do NOT go back int he room. Unfortunantly now that he is used to you doing it the only way to stop it is to do this. let him cry it out, but continue every few minutes to say "you are ok, we are here, go nite nite" or in a soft , calm voice just say"see you in the morning, nite nite time". it will be a tough few days to a week but dont give inand go in there or he willnever get past this.
    this is exactly why I am against co-sleeping of any kind. It is too hard to breakt he habit later. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:18 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Did you co-sleep? That info would help me to help you better...
    Anonymous

• I totally agree with legalmommy. We used this method after years of having to be in the kids room for them to sleep. It took a couple of weeks but it worked!! Good Luck!!
    twinmom5253

Answer by twinmom5253 at 9:39 PM on May. 8, 2009

• No, I don't do co-sleeping. I did until he was a month old because I had a c-section that had a major infection and I wasn't able to move around very well. That's why I'm so surprised by all of this. And one problem with the moving the chair into the hallway... I don't have a hallway to his room. The room he's in was addition on the house we're renting and there are 2 doors. One leading to my room and the other leading to a laundry area in the kitchen....
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 10:30 PM on May. 8, 2009

• This may sound terrible, but if you're a working mommy who HAS to get some sleep, you'll know where I'm coming from. Try putting a radio near his bed, and set it to a talk radio station. Just the sound of people talking may help him go back to sleep when he wakes up during the night.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 11:28 AM on May. 11, 2009