Has anyone given birth without using any drugs and if so how did you get through the pain?

I want to deliver naturally but I don't know anyone whose done it without drugs. Help...make me feel better. 34 weeks here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sorry hun.....I wanted to go through labor without drugs, I was indiced so they were pretty intence, plus I had back labor. I had an epidural. After 15 hours of labor and not progressing past 5 cm I had a c-section and had a spinal on top of the epidural. I will have a c-section as well this time and I WILL have a Spinal.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:29 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I kept thinking, "IT WOULD HURT WORSE IF A SHARK BIT MY LEG OFF!" i repeated that sentence to myself. I have had 3 kids, and labor wasn't that bad. I did have an epidural with my 2nd. I felt no pain once it kicked in. Honestly, I was going to do the same with #3, but I waited to long. With #1 I had one shot of Demerol, and felt groggy, with all the pain. I didn't find labor that bad, but I had quick births. I think it depends on you, your pain tolerance, and expectations.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:34 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I did it. I'm pretty proud of myself too. It's hard, don't get me wrong. I don't think it's all that bad but it is intense. I have the best advice I can give to you. My birthing instructor told me to absorb the pain, instead of clinching when you get a contraction, let your body absorb it and breath through it. Easier said then done but it was great advice. The nurse told me that i was making my labor go by faster because I was just taking the pain instead of fighting it. I even vomited because I was progressing so fast. Message me if you want to talk about it. Good luck and don't worry so much, you won't have any time to worry. Hugs!
    mrsmendoza2006

Answer by mrsmendoza2006 at 5:35 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i did it twice. Labor is different for every woman though. My labor only lasted five hours the first time and 8 hrs. the second time. i was only in a LOT of pain for maybe two hours both times. So doing it naturally was actually easy for me. I won't lie it hurt a lot. But mine was also very quick. If i was in labor for two days, like some people i probably would of had drugs. I got through the pain because through it all i was so excited to see my baby that nothing else mattered. :D
    i'd say if its what you want then try , if it doesn't work out at least you tryed. Good Luck.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 5:40 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My first was completely drug free. It was only 7 hours, so the pain wasn't that bad for that long. With my second, about 18 hours in, I said I wanted to talk about pain medication. The nurse brought back a needle and started putting some into my IV. I told her to stop because I wanted to discuss pain medication, not actually get some yet. SO I got about 1/2 a dose of a narcotic painreliever. After that, I was too scared that the nurse wouldn't listen to my requests that I just said screw it, I can do this. That labor lasted 29 hours and was intense. But I was too scared that something would happen because this nurse was hypodermic happy, that I decided I didn't want to risk it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:48 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Yup!! I got to soak in a bathtub while in labor, and that really helped. It was the best drug ever, and there were no risks of side effects!

I would read the book "Ina May's Guide To Childbirth" if you want a natural labor. Ina May Gaskins is the top midwife in the country. Her knowledge is immeasurable. =)
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 5:49 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Not too much help because i had an epi with both of my last pregnancies but when i was delivering my daughter it wore off so i felt everything and i only had it working for about an hour so i felt 10 hrs of my labor and it was very doable, uncomfortable but doable, i am due in december now and plan on trying for all natural now that i know what it feels like. Good luck.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 6:13 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I did it. I just kept telling myself, "This is what I was made to do. I can do this. I've been through worse. This is what's going to lead me to holding her soon. It could be worse, I could have to have a c-section and be afraid. It's not that bad. My period cramps were worse than this!" And I kept thinking things like that. It really wasn't that bad at all. I honestly ended up asking for an epidural after about 65 hours in the middle of transitional labor because the people at the hospital kept trying to make me take something and I hadn't slept in three days or eaten, so it was all getting to me. My epidural was put in as I started pushing, so it never had any time to work lol. They got it in when I was 10cm and her head was halfway down the birth canal. About 6 pushes later, I was holding her. Don't listen to the negative, focus on the positive. Get a midwife, if you can.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:16 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I had an epi but it wore off...I asked them to "up" it again, but they wouldn't cuz I was too far gone! So I felt everything!! It hurts like a mother!! What I wasn't really prepared for was the burning. OMG, it felt like someone lit my ass on fire!! The nurse in there was really good about helping to uhhhh, stretch things so I didn't tear, but you wouldn't feel a tear anyway. Well not a small one. Oh and the pressure! It feels like you have to take the biggest dump humanly possible...and in essence you are! Lol! They will tell you to push like your having a BM. Then once you get the head out...heaven!! But remember you still have the shoulders to go...
    Yeah, I'll tell ya the truth!! :)
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 6:20 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I was induced before my body and baby were ready after my due date. Had complications. I ended up with a c-section after not progressing..only went to 4cm after 16 hours of augmented labor with cervigel and pitocin. That caused the most severe pain ever...I didn't want an epi, but got one when I was 1cm cuz I couldn't deal with the pain....and the epi caused adverse reactions to me and my baby and only worked for 45 minutes then wore off...unbelievable, so they took that one out and put another one in...that only worked for 20 minutes. It was crazy...my contractions were so strong, 90 seconds long and 2 minutes apart, I had no time to breathe. I was so tense. It was terrible. This time around, I will be trying an all natural VBAC. I will be using hypno-birthing breathing/meditation techniques to take my mind off the pain. Plus, I have a doula who will be giving me massage and my husband and mother there helping me too
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:31 PM on May. 9, 2009