What is a good way to soothe a non-stop crying infant?

I have been up since 8 a.m. this morning trying to soothe my son. I have been feeding and changing every 45 minutes. I can't simply figure out what is bothering him. Any suggestions?

kweenspade0503

Asked by kweenspade0503 at 5:47 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Swaddle him and put him over your knees belly down and pat him. Rock him and do the "shhhhhhhhh" in his ear (it kinda sounds like the womb). Let us know if you are still having problems.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:49 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Is he drawing hislegs up to his tummy when he's crying? Does his tummy feel firmer than usual? There is a possibility he is gassy. No diarrhea? No temp? no anything but the crying? Does the crying have sort of a different pitch than usual? Sometimes that is a sure sign its a colicky kind of gas. Have your laid him down on his back and gently hold his legs so his knees are at his tummy. Sometimes this helps them pass gas. My son always liked to lay face down on my forearmwith my hand sort of holding his leg/crotch. Try burping. Do you have any gripe water or mylicon drops? Those can be helpful to relieve gas pain. Are you nursing? Did you eat broccoli, chocolate, bell peppers or something new recently/..like yesterday.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:52 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Sorry about the typoes. a 6 yr old was overexcited about her new Highlights that came in..lol
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:54 PM on May. 8, 2009

• www.coliccalm.com

This website helped our son when nothing else would.

(I recommend if you get Colic Calm, that you also get the pacifier applicator. Colic Calm is messy and the pacifier applicator makes it easy to give...and has a measuring line on it, too.)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:56 PM on May. 8, 2009

• stand in the kitchen and turn on the dishwasher and turn out the lights. swaddle baby tight and rock side to side.
    or do the same thing in the laundry room with the dryer on.

good luck!
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 6:35 PM on May. 8, 2009

• try some baby tylenol or else some baby gas drops
    abbyl2490

Answer by abbyl2490 at 6:35 PM on May. 8, 2009

• oh honey I am sorry, sounds like my day tho my son passed out finally. Try walking the floor, the shhh-ing, laying him across your knees on his tummy, gentle bouncing, gas drops...just keep trying and stop feeding and changing him sweetie...;take some deep breaths and dont forget to lay him down and walk away for a few minutes if you need to. He is safe and it willnot hurt him to cry a few minutes on his own g=for you to get yourself calm. Hang on mom, hang on, and please email me if you need to vent or anything. we are here for you!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:59 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I found the book/DVD The Happiest Baby on the Block to be useful. He teaches about the 5 s's:
    Swaddling
    *Swaddling is the cornerstone of calming. It gives nurturing touch, stops flailing, and focuses his attention
    *Swaddling by itself may not halt crying, but it prepares babies for the other S's that do switch off crying
    Side (or stomach) laying
    *The side and stomach positions can calm your baby by switching his calming reflex on and his falling reflex (Moro) off
    *The "reverse breast feeding" hold is an excellent way to cuddle him and soothe his crying

Shh (the sound)
    *Shhh triggers your baby's calming reflex
    *The wooshing that your baby heard in your uterus was as loud as a vacuum
    *You must shhh loudly for it to soothe your crying baby

Swinging
    *Vigorous jiggly movement can switch on your baby's calming reflex

Sucking
    *Sucking calms babies by satisfying their hun
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:57 PM on May. 8, 2009

• What are you eating? Gassy foods affect your milk which in turn affects your baby. Dairy products as well. Try changing your diet and see what happens.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Hmmm... I need more info, there are many things that could be the problem...
    Are you BFing? Bottle?

Your child could be getting too much foremilk which can cause gas a fussiness and non stop crying... that is, if you are BFing.

Your child may need a different formula. Sometimes babies cannot tolerate proteins from cow's milk, so soy based formula may be better.

I wouldn't suggest changing your diet. Contrary to popular beleif, few foods affect your milk. But, I do suggest contacting your babies Pediatrician. Be sure to provide many details about your babies behavior, so the DR can assess the situation better. GOOD LUCK!!!
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 2:15 AM on May. 9, 2009