Questions about Adam and Eve.....

So after reading a few posts today, I had a bunch of thoughts come up...

Did Adam and Eve have sex in the Garden? If not, when did sex get 'invented'?

Wouldn't it have been a sin since they were never "married"? I never read where god married A & E, only "created" her for him. And for those that might say they were married in the eyes of god...Why isn't that an acceptable 'way' to be married to someone now, without it being a sin?

How WOULD have A & E procreated if sex wasn't 'discovered' until after they ate the fruit?

If "god" is a "man" and made Adam in his image and then Eve afterward...Then why didn't he give man the gift of childbearing? Especially since so much religious value is placed on the miracle of life.

And if Eve's 'punishment' for the fruit was to painfully concieve/carry/deliver a baby, then why wasn't Adam punished as well?

*Agnostic here. Just pondering....

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 6:13 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe they has sex but they didn't see being naked as wrong because God was the one who set what was good or bad until Adam rejected what God set and decided to chose for himself and ate from the tree, when he did it was his own thoughts that made it bad in HIS EYES, Sex was never wrong and it was after they were put our that God opened Eves womb so she would get pregnant.
    and as for marriage in the eyes of God? Well we are( According to the bible) to follow the Law of the land we live in go marriage would be approved by God when we obey his command to follow that Law. If you lived in a country where walking from your house to his house with your family watching was a legal marriage then that would be approved by God.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 6:33 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I'm not very religious...but I have read most of the Bible and from my understanding God DID punish Adam as well by casting him out of the garden of Eden with Eve and making it so that he had to work the land hard to get anything to grow from it in order to have enough food to eat...something along those lines.
    Anonymous

• Supposedly he was. They both were "punished" by knowing what God knew. They knew pain and suffering and they knew of shame or some crap like that. I didn't think someone who is agnostic would ponder about stories written by "man" in a book.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:19 PM on May. 8, 2009

• They had sex after they left the garden. Because before they ate the fruit they didnt know or recognize the fact that they were naked.
    But as far as procreating. yea. idk. and i also dont understand how Jesus is the only son of God if God made all of us. ...the bible says we are his "adopted" children. ...like wtf?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• "I didn't think someone who is agnostic would ponder about stories written by "man" in a book."

Why not?
    Anonymous

• They were both punished....they were banished from the garden and the Lord cursed the soil and made it difficult to work and grow on. Check out Gen 3:17-19
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 6:26 PM on May. 8, 2009

• And if Eve's 'punishment' for the fruit was to painfully concieve/carry/deliver a baby, then why wasn't Adam punished as well?

And why do ALL female mammals give birth?  Are they being punished too?  According to the bible animals came before humans so how could that be?

I could go on and on but the circular logic is making me dizzy!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:26 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I am going to try to answer this for you; I have read Genisis several times, but don't neccessarily understand everything about it. I don't think Adam and Eve had sex in the garden because procreation was not needed before the fall. I don't know how to respond about why men don't have the babies, but as for why Adam was not punished - he was punished. God told him he had to plant and grow things but the soil and weather would be against him. Finally, marriage; this is regulated more by the government and church than by God. I think it is so that you make a committment to each other in front of witnesses, but I think God would recognise a marriage between two people who make a committment before Him alone.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 6:51 PM on May. 8, 2009

• "God DID punish Adam as well by casting him out of the garden of Eden with Eve and making it so that he had to work the land hard to get anything to grow from it.." Ok, so then why is Eve's punishment of the body and Adam's is tilling the soil? Seems uneven. Especially since Adam was god's first made and made in his own image, so then wouldn't Adam's betrayal be more harshly dealt?

I didn't think someone who is agnostic would ponder about stories written by "man" in a bookWhy not? You do know the difference between Agnostic and Atheist (I've seen you post) So you should also know that as an Agnostic, I'm always open to questioning beliefs/values/etc in order to increase my knowledge about the religion as well as those who follow it. Learning is always a good thing. And sometimes its just fun to think about things

ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:03 PM on May. 8, 2009

• "..to follow the Law of the land we live in go marriage would be approved by God when we obey his command to follow that Law." I see where you are going with this. But then does the Xtian god approve of multiple marriage where its legal? Or child-marriage? It gets complicated, right?

ozarkgirl3