If your loved one (SO, child) had to go on a restricted diet, would you do it too?

For instance, if it was necessary to cut out dairy, or gluten, or meats, or whatever, would you have the whole family do the same diet, to make it easier on the person who has to have it? Would you remove all offending foods from your home? Or would you continue to eat your regular food and just not 'allow' the one person to have whatever it is they can't have?

llansky

Asked by llansky at 6:27 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I think if my child had food limitations I would for sure make sure that the house as a whole tried to follow the same diet. I would do this only because I think as a child it would be hard from the start to understand why someone could have certain food you were not allowed to have. If the child had to then watch a family member eat this food it might things a bit hard to deal with.
    If it was my husband or S.O. I would not cut that food out as a whole, I would try and give them a alternitive to that food but I would still allow the family to eat it. Adults are just that we are ADULTS we should be ok with watching someone else eat what we could NOT have.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 6:36 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Managing a kitchen with two differant diets is HARD. I'm a celiac personally and for a long time I tried to keep gluten free and gluten full food in the house, to make bits of each for dinner and what not. It's just myself and my 9 year old daughter at home and I didn't want her to feel bad about food. BUT cross contamination became a HUGE issue. I'm fine with watching her eat cookies and cereal I can't have but I also get extremely sick if i get her crumbs in my food or what have you (she ate a cookie on the couch and got crumbs every where once and I broke out in hives for days!).

We comprimised. Her foods that she takes for lunches to school have gluten (she has her own bread, cookies and crackers) and she makes her lunches from these foods that she keeps in a special part of the fridge and in her cupboard. But her foods she eats at home are gluten free. This has worked well and avoided me having reactions.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 6:40 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Yes.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 7:26 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Of course!
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 8:27 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Absolutely.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Yep, and have been for 7 years now.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:36 PM on May. 8, 2009