How do u fix chronic constipation?

My daughter is almost 3 years old and never had any problems with constipation until October of last year all of a sudden she had trouble I thought it might have been her diet so changed it that didn't work. I started giving her plumsmart that worked for awhile but her constipation came back . I took her to the doctor 3 times and they told me to give her the laxative miralax once a day which has worked but its been a few months now and Ive been trying to wean her off the laxative but it her stools almost automatically get hard again I deeply concerned for her and need som serious help.

Rozzy720

Asked by Rozzy720 at 6:36 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my nephew had cronic constipation and i asked her for u and this is what she said:
    tell them to get miralax from the store and do 17 grams twice a day until it's loosened then once a day
    B: plue give one tsp. milanta twice a day for about 5 days.
    B: stay away from bananas, cheese and chocolate (I don't know how to spell that) and eat a balanced diet
    another great tip is bathroom behavior, expecially for kids, 5 mins after ever meal sit on the toilet, even if you don't have to go, because that is the time your brain tells your body it's time to start getting ready to go.

i hope this helps!!!!
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 8:35 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Give her fiber-one bars or fiber-one poptarts (or store brand versions) and see if those help. I use those for when my DD is constipated. (Which is usually 2 weeks out of the month...) It works great.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 7:02 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Is she allergic to anything she's eating daily? Maybe allergic to milk? That might do it. You could try giving her oatmeal with quite a bit of brown sugar in it. That should make her go.
    Anonymous

• Is she drinking lots of water? Is she eating lots of whole grains, fruits, vegetables? Cut back on or eliminate meat and dairy, and feed her beans, lentils and tofu instead. Please contact me directly for more ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My son has the same problem and has since he was one. Target has these fiber gummys and a whole line of suppositories and everything you need for constipation, they are called pedilax. I have found that the pedilax chewables work better then merilax and are actually aproved for children under 16 by the fda where as Merilax is not.
    ajnattysmommy

Answer by ajnattysmommy at 8:10 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I've been dealing with the same thing since my daughter was a newborn. She's 2.5 now. A few days ago it was so bad I did the suppositories, miralax and nothing worked except for the Fleets Anema which broke her hard stool up so she could release her bowels. I'm looking for new ideas too. They said pineapple juice, prunes, raisins anything high in fiber is good, but I think my daughter has a problem when she drinks she much milk, but I've been cutting back.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 8:20 PM on May. 8, 2009