DID ANYONE TRY CASTOR OIL TO BRING ON LABOR?

Im not asking for a lecture on "how horrible it is and not to do it" i'm just asking if anyone used it and did it bring on labor- if so how long after and what castor oil mixture did you use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• NO! It does not work, do not try it.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 6:37 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I used it with my third son, I was taking castor oil and Orange juice cause I had heard that it would bring on labor, but it didn't work and I was using it everyday... it only gave me gas, but no baby, lol
    DYMOND24

Answer by DYMOND24 at 6:39 PM on May. 8, 2009

• If you take castor oil, expect to develop severe diarrhea and cramps when it kicks in. Uterine contractions often follow, and occasionally develop into labor. Hopefully the last of the castor oil will be expelled before the time comes to push out the baby, and the diarrhea won't have made you too sore for comfortable pushing. Bedtime is a common time when people take this, but then you might end up in the bathroom all night, and be tired if labor starts in the daytime.

One person I know suggests setting your alarm for 4 in the morning, taking the dose, and then going back to sleep until the cramps start. Personally, I would have to be pretty desperate to take castor oil. If one of my pregnant ladies really wants to take it, and she is more than 39 weeks pregnant, I will give her the recipe. I have not seen it be very successful.

Anonymous

• It causes severe cramping in the intestines which equals really bad nausea and diarrhea. Yeah wow sounds fun. No on the labor.
    Anonymous

• I tried the castro oil and orange juice method for my first son...it didnt work at all...and it did not give me diarrhea either...but if you want to try it good luck...its really hard to swallow though its taste nasty...
    isaac1

Answer by isaac1 at 6:59 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I did castor oil. It gave me the runs but I started having contractions and went to the hospital only to find out my son went into distress and pooped in the amniotic sac and I had to go into emergency c-section. I got a big lecture from the doctor especially because I lied about it at first when I got there and they thought something was wrong with the baby but when I told them I drank castor oil they werent surprised.
    Anonymous

• NO!
    busykids

Answer by busykids at 7:53 PM on May. 8, 2009

• No. All it does is cause diarrhea which in turn can cause uterine contractions which may or may not develop into labor. If you try it be sure to drink plenty of water to replace the fluid you lose thru diarrhea and or vomiting. I don't reccommend it, but if you try it be safe.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:07 PM on May. 8, 2009

• my ex's x wife drank castor oil with all 3 of her children and it brought on her labor with no side affects. she made sure the baby had dropped in her tummy first
    bamagurl1988

Answer by bamagurl1988 at 12:48 PM on May. 9, 2009

• no. i know you don't want to hear anything...but, I actually just read a WARNING that do not take it, there's severe adverse reactions....risks involved...of course, it's up to you. I've heard it doesn't work though.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:15 PM on May. 9, 2009