No Formula for my 10 month old?!

I took my 10 month old to the pedi today. It was suppose to be a wellness check up but she ended up getting a fever last night. Anyways, the doc said it was her throat and that from what I told him he thinks its this bug that is going around and that her fever will probably get higher in the next day or two and then she will develop a cough that usually lasts about 2 weeks... He perscribed antibiotics (which I didn't like cuz she has been on them since she was born it seems like - she has been sick several times). he told me to get her sprite and gatoraid and not to give her any formula. She is on table food but that still seems really wierd to me cuz all I've ever heard is that they NEED formula until they are at least 12 months old.... has anyone ever been told not to give their baby formula?

mrsbvader

Asked by mrsbvader at 6:40 PM on May. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• are you serious? no, you need to give that baby formula, they need it until at least 1. you can still give your baby sprite and gatorade, but that baby still needs formula. my son got sick around that age too, don't know if it was what your dd has, but he got on antibiotics, they told me to give him sprite and gatorade, but didn't say anything about formula, and yes he was on baby and table food at the time. never heard of a doc say that before.
    Anonymous

• They do not NEED formula at that age if they eat a balanced diet. Would you want to drink milk on an upset tummy? Milk based products curdle when your tummy is upset. I wouldnt' give her sprite or gatoraid but I'd give her pedialyte. It's only to help flush the system and temporary...then go back to formula
    Anonymous

• Sprite and gatorade for a baby? Time to find a new doctor in my opinion.

If she's eating a balanced diet of table foods, it's okay to to have formula any longer...but sprite and gatorade? NUTS.

What he may be thinking (and I've been told by our pediatrician it's an old wives tale) is that milk (or milk products) are bad when anyone is sick because it causes more mucous. (what actually happens is the molecules stick together and make it seem as though there is more...while in some with a dairy sensitivity it can severely aggrevate the situation and avoiding dairy becomes more imperative than usual)

For the record, mine were off formula at 9 months per the pediatrician because they were eating all table foods, no food sensitivities or family allergies, and their diets were balanced and varied.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:52 PM on May. 8, 2009

• They do need it, but in this case I see why he is saying no. She is sick and may get a bit worse and all that will do is make her feel worse and upset her stomach more. She can have it once she is better again.

Anonymous

• There is no way I would give a baby sprite and gatorade. I can't believe the Dr. would recommend that. I would either ignore him, or find a new Dr. If she's tolerating the formula okay, then I would continue to give it to her until she's at least a year old. While she's sick, you can give her Pedialite and juice too.
    Also, since you mention she's been on antibiotics a lot, I would go to the store or look online and get baby Probiotics. You can also give her yogurt w/ live and active cultures if you don't already.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 6:58 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i would not give the baby sprite or gatorade. My son is three and does not get any soda or juice . other than Juicy Juice diluted. I would try the pedialyte.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:20 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I would skip the sprite and gatorade, but I would give pedialyte. I think the dr was trying to prevent mucous& chest congestion or upset tummy
    brancoj

Answer by brancoj at 8:01 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't give her sprite but gatorade is fine, pedialyte is better (I could never get my kids to drink it) as long as she is on table food she will be fine without formula. All my kids were on regular milk by 10 months.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:06 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I breast fed my DS........ I do see why he suggests sprite tho... think of when you have post nasal drip and you drink soda... it clears it out quickly and makes you feel a bit better... What my son's doctor told me to do is to buy soda water (unflavored carbonated water) and mix it with the powdered pedialyte. It keeps your little one hydrated clears the mucus out of their throat and they drink it very well... pedialyte for a day or so won't hurt your child by going with out formula...... just encourage a balanced diet and if they can hold down a bottle or two offer it. Other wise what's the point of giving her formula if she's going to vomit it back up??
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 9:17 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Agree with Wildkitten82!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:42 PM on May. 8, 2009