If you have twins, triplets, multiples or even babies and toddlers at home, do you share personal items like pacifiers, bottles, teething toys etc between them, or does each baby have their own?

I personally think it is wrong, but I have a cousin who doesnt seem to care. She would take a "used" pacifier from one baby and pop it into the other baby's mouth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have twins, and when they were using pacifiers we learned pretty quickly that it's near impossible to keep them from sharing them. Same goes for teething toys, etc. They're 18 months now, and there's just no way to keep them from "swapping spit" lol. When they were tiny, they even used to suck on each other's fingers. I don't see it as that big a deal- expecially w/ multiples.
    If I had one baby and a 3-4 year old, then it might be different...
    dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 6:58 PM on May. 8, 2009

• It's inevitable. My 10 month old has a 12 month old cousin that is around alot and they are constantly "stealing" binkies, sippy cups, etc from eachother. I just let them be unless they are getting upset about it. (And of course, if one of them were sick I would keep a better eye on it) but it seems nearly impossible to prevent and it doesn't really seem like a big deal to me.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 7:19 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I have two who are 11 months apart. I never let them share items involving the mouth. I had enough trouble keeping them all separated trying to cut back on the spread of colds without purposely exposing them like that.

But that's my opinion and even now that they are older we don't (even parent to child) share cups, forks, spoons or take bites after one another.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:21 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My boys are 13 months apart. I tried using two different kinds of pacifiers. It worked with the oldest, he knew which as his and which was his baby brother's but as the baby got mobile he kept stealing his brother's. By then Harrison knew his name started with an H and that Andrew's started with an A so they had the same kind of paci and we wrote H and A's on them. Harrison at least knew and if Andrew picked his up he would take and give Andrew the right one.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 7:41 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I agree with most of what everyone has said. We tried to keep things seperate but it becomes impossible. They see a pacifier and pick it up and all toys go into the mouth. We never had any problems resulting from them sharing bottles or anything else.
    twinmom5253

Answer by twinmom5253 at 9:32 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Mine are 14 mos apart - Jacob, the oldest, never took a pacifier and he knows that the "big" bottles are his... it still doesn't stop him from stealing Ben's paci and bottle. Usually he'll take it, pop it in his mouth, and try to give it back to Ben. Gross, I know... but I am picking my battles.. I'd much rather worry about him putting things in the toilet or trying to eat the Comet than worry about who has whose bottle.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 6:01 PM on May. 9, 2009