I just got a call from my sons rheumatologist. They found he has a heart murmur and did a chest xray and now they think one of the arches in his heart is enlarged.

What does this mean? We went to the rheumatologist for joint pain, and they found nothing wrong with him, but now they want to do an echo. Any one have any idea what this means?

jnthn949

Asked by jnthn949 at 6:50 PM on May. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My friend's baby had a heart echo and it was to see how big the hole was and if it would heal on it's own or if the baby would have to have surgery on it. I'm assuming it will be similar with your baby except they'll probably also see if the arch really is enlarged. ...I'm so sorry you're going through this. I will keep you and your son in my prayers.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't have anything to do with the rheumatologist. They just found an underlying condition. It's called hypertrophic aortic arch. An ECHO is a ultrasound of the heart so they can see how the heart is pumping, depending on the results, they may do nothing or they may do a cath procedure using contrast
    Anonymous

• I am sorry you are going through this. This is not exactly related to your question, but I thought I would add to make sure your son's doctor is -feeling- his joints. I have rheumatoid arthritis, and I was diagnosed with it at 8 years old, after suffering for several years. Nothing came back on bloodwork, x-ray, etc.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:21 AM on May. 9, 2009