SEVERE Depression - drug-free cure? Advice?

My daughter is 17 months old, I've never had a shred of depression before my pregnancy/child - now, it's all too often. At least weekly I crash, cry, want out of my life, don't want to see my husband/daughter, am frustrated, and don't know what to do to 'feel good'. I exercise regularly, eat really well, am not overweight, limit my alcohol, all the known things that are known to support the balance. I'm TIRED of feeling BAD - anyone else here? Know a remedy? I don't want to take antidepressants - I can't even take a Tylenol (by choice). Help?...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Health

• meditation, exercise, st john's wort.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 7:14 PM on May. 8, 2009

• a new hobby.something you have always wanted to do,but never did for whatever reason.
    Anonymous

• find a therapist. talk therapy helped me overcome my depression without drugs.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I would say find someone you can talk to. PPD is common, you're not alone! But it would do so much for you and your relationship with your baby if you could work through it. Just b/c it's common doesn't mean you're stuck with it. Get online and do some research, find resources for PPD. Do it now!

Here's a start: http://www.ppdsupportpage.com/

Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:47 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Excercise. Also know its common to be stressed when you have a young child. too much stress for me makes me feel depressed.
    brancoj

Answer by brancoj at 8:50 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i was always against medication. I finally gave in to my mother's begging and tried it. I still don't tell anyone i'm on it, but it has done wonders for me. still, it's up to you...this is just me. :)
    blondiefemme

Answer by blondiefemme at 9:29 PM on May. 8, 2009

• please try lemon balm, i take it for depression and panic attacks. it works great, stopped my panic attacks completely! it's an herb, you get in capsule form at a health food store. it's only about $10 for 100 capsules. and the best part-no negative side effects at all. i wish doctors would go on and recomend this to people with anxiety and/or depression, it's sooo much better than prescribed meds. i used to be on zoloft and then i tried prozac, those things just made me worse. i think God that i came across that article about lemon balm, i recommend it to everyone i can.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:03 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Sometimes you need medication. There should be no stigma about taking it either. If you were diabetic you would take insulin if you couldn't diet control it right? It is the same for depression, It is caused by a serotonin deficiency. Therefore there should be nothing wrong about taking a serotonin replacement.
    OK...so on with your question. Vitamin B-Complex works wonders for depression as do Omega 3 oils. Both can be bought at in the vitamin section of your local grocer. Also sex and affection between you and your dh will help. Sex releases serotonin. So go get some.
    If you try all of these non medication routes and they don't seem to help, PLEASE go to the dr and try some medication.
    Good luck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:10 AM on May. 9, 2009

• It's me.....yeah, tired sex, I exercise like crazy, an no, like I said, don't want to do any drugs, messing my my brain chemical make up isn't something I'm interested in, comparing it to a diabetic needing insulin - well, I don' think that's a healthy argument. Therapy is my best bet - giving that a go next week - thanks all!.....
    Anonymous