when ground beef is brown before cooked...does that mean its bad?

i bought a big package of ground beef(its about 3 pounds) the last time we went shopping. it has been in our fridge.it says sell by May 3rd.i dont remember exactly what color it used to be but it is not pink. is it bad if it is kinda brown looking? is it supposed to be all pink before cooking? or not necesarily

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• brown is not good. throw it out. if you get hamburger and are not going to use it soon, then put it in the freezer.(do that with any meat)
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 7:21 PM on May. 8, 2009

• sounds like all the blood drained out of it (thats what i was always told) smell it and if it smells bad then dont eat it
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• thank you ladies.i think i'm gonna risk it.i put it into the freezer for now.
    Anonymous

• Just because it is brown doesn't mean it is bad. That just mean that the air got to it. If it smells like hamburger it is fine.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 8:00 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Did you know that beef processors actually add pink coloring to meat to make it look fresher? We are attuned to thinking red= fresh for meat. So brown isn't necessarily bad-- just make sure it doens't smell rancid. The brown results from oxidation, and what you'll find is that the middle is usually pink.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:13 PM on May. 8, 2009

• No, brown means it is bad. Also, you didn't freeze it by the sell by date (by 3 days) so NO I wouldn't risk giving my family food poisoning, I have had it and I felt like I was going to die.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I have cooked meat that looked brownish and it was fine. As long as it still smells like meat and not rotten it is fine.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:25 PM on May. 8, 2009