Bedtime

We co-slept with our boys until a few months ago when they moved into their own bedroom. However, one of us (me of DH) still has to lay with them until they fall asleep. Inevitably whoever does it falls asleep in their room. I miss hanging out with my husband after the kids are in bed. Any advice on getting them to fall asleep on their own. One is almost 3 and the other is 20 months

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What time to they go to bed? Maybe they need to go to bed a little earlier.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:38 PM on May. 8, 2009

• im not too sure because i havent gone through this (yet) but ive seen other moms answers saying you should read them a story or do whatever you do before bedtime, then walk out of the room. the first few times will be hard because they will probably keep getting out of bed but when they do that simply place them back in there bed and they will get the hint.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 7:44 PM on May. 8, 2009

• if u ever watch super nanny or nanny 911 they always have the parents put the kids to bed and spend the whole sleepless couple nights putting them back in bed when they get up and listening to them cry all night. looks very stressfull but it always seems to work after 1 or 2 nights. so there is one way, another way is maybe they could fall asleep in ur bed and u guys could carefully carry them to their beds? good luck!
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 8:28 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I'm having a similar issue with my 15 month old. One mom told me to put a chair in his room close to the crib. Every night pull the chair back further and further away toward the hallway until you are out of the room completely. When you are out of the room completely they will cry, and it will be a tough few nights... But a friend of mine tried it with her boys and she said it worked great.
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 10:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• OP here- We are some what limited on certain things. They are both in a regular bed. They each learned how to scale the side of the crib at about 1 year of age (their father used to be a gymnast, so it must be genetic). And the older one is quite tall and can open the door himself, even though we really don't like the idea of shutting them in their while they are screaming anyway. I wish I could find a way to get them to stay in bed and fall asleep on their own. There have been times they just kept getting up every time we laid them down for over 2 hours. I don't want bedtime to be miserable for them, but I want my evenings back.
    Anonymous