What does it mean to have a heart murmur and is it serious?

My doctor wants my heart murmur checked out I have to get a echocardiogram.Will I need surgeory or take meds?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 7:25 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Health

• A heart murmur is a sound created (heard by stethoscope, and monitored/measured by ECG--ElectroCardioGram) when either the atrial (blood entering the lower chamber of the heart) or ventricular (blood leaving the lower chamber of the heart) valves do not close fully, or "flutter" erratically. The heart valves prevent blood by being able to "back up" they are responsible for keeping blood flowing smoothly.

The EKG results will indicate how frequently and at which point in your heart's rhythm the murmur occurs--you might even have to take an exercise Stress Test (to see if it is something that occurs at rest or during periods of exertion, and at what point).

If the murmur is serious enough, valve replacement surgery would likely be recommended--likely following extensive tests and a possible exploratory exam (under anethesia).

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:44 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My brother was told he has a heart murmur..however his doctor told him that it is common for people to have heart murmurs. only if they think it is serious will you need surgery. just get the echo and go from there. until then just relax and calm down. don't stress over what COULD happen. just live life in the moment. don't live for the future, live for today.....good luck and i will keep you in my thoughts.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 7:27 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Yep, heart murmurs are common, I think even more common in women than men. If you haven't had side effects up 'til now, it's probably not serious. If you have had side effects like faintness or abnormal fatigue, than it might be bad enough to do something about. My mom just went through that, in fact, her ECG readings were a little abnormal. She's super healthy, though, and the arrhythmia reasolved on its own. I wouldn't worry about it!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:37 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Not usually. I have 3 leaky heart valves that regurgitate. Still not serious and only meds I need are antibiotics prior to dental appointments or surgeries.
    Anonymous

• A heart murmur is not usually serious. My mom and brother both have one and neither have had to have surgery or take meds. The only thing my mom has to do is get antibiotics about 3 days before a dental appointment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I was born with a heart murmur. I have a tiny hole that lets blood out and instead of a heartbeat my heart sounds like "Swish swish". I got to listen to it when I was a kid, I thought it was kind of cool at the time. They didn't want to do anything with it because the doctor said that I would most likely grow out of it. When I was 15 and had a physical done to play soccer they said they could barely tell I had one. Then when I was pregnant at 21 they said that my heartbeat sounded perfectly normal. I really wouldn't worry a whole lot about it.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 12:48 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I have an ASD- Atrial septal Defect - heart murmur They found it 8 yrs ago just by hearing I had an irregular heartbeat. I went for a TEE Transesphogealecocardiogram- sp? Easy test and found i had a small hole in my heart. They are very common. I need to premedicate before dentist appts etc. but, you should be fine.
    BigboyMom

Answer by BigboyMom at 11:59 AM on May. 9, 2009

• It depends on how big the murmer is.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 3:53 PM on May. 9, 2009