Breastfeeding, latching and weight loss

I didn't get to breastfeed my son since he was in the hospital for his 1st month of life. I am bound and determined to nurse this next baby. I want to make sure that this child has the absolute best start, reducing chances for illness and that it helps mommy lose weight.

I have heard that nursing is not supposed to be painful and that if it hurts then I am not doing it right. Is that true? I have also heard that the lactation consultant at the hospital where I will deliver is, shall I say, less than helpful. She told a friend of mine who wanted to nurse when she asked for help "It's a learning process" and left the room.

I don't want that. I am asking because I want to be certain I am prepared and am not reading a book about it, I am asking moms who have done it, love it, swear by it and recommend it. How can I be certain I have the latching correct? How much weight can be lost? How long should I nurse on either side?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 7:51 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When my son was born he was 3wks early via induction then rushed to the NICU so I did not have the initial chance to immediately breast feed but several hours later they brought me down there to try & for 4 days We could not get him to latch or even show interest in breast feeding ( He would take a lil bottle or syringe w/my colostrum because thats all I had ). They were giving him sugar water via IV & so he barely had a appetite. I had docs & lactation nurses helping me w/no results. I was pumping every couple hrs for 15-20min ea breast to make sure my milk came in. Day 4 they said if he dont latch he cant go home & that day he latched! I still had to pump & I did lots of skin to skin contact to keep stimulated because he had to be supplemented since he went from 8lbs @ birth to 6lbs 15oz. After a week or 2 he was a pro! My nipples would get really sore at times for the first 1-2mos & its normal dont worry. *NURSE ON DEMAND!
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 9:24 PM on May. 8, 2009

• "I have heard that nursing is not supposed to be painful and that if it hurts then I am not doing it right. Is that true?"

Not exactly. It likely WILL be painful in the beginning. But usually you can expect pain for about the first thirty seconds. If it goes all the way through the feeding,. there may be a problem.

And much as you don't want to hear this... I am going to reocmmend a book. "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. It's a great, funny, EASY read and will give you the straight scoop.

Let me also invite you to join us at the Breastfeeding Moms Group. We've helped many moms with questions and issues.

Also get acquainted with kellymom.com. GREAT resource.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:56 PM on May. 8, 2009

• If the baby's lips form a v-shape when nursing it should be latched correctly. If the lactation consultant is less than helpful (report her to her supervisor) go to your local La Leche League for help. It may initially hurt as the milk lets down, but should not last past five seconds or so. This will not last either unless you get engorged. Arond fifteen to twenty minutes per side. Not sure how much weight you stand to lose that depends on genetics and other factors. I nursed four kids so if you want to PM me you can.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:00 PM on May. 8, 2009

• iT WILL BE NATURAL JUST PUT BABY ON BREAST RIGHT AFTER HE IS BORN AND HIS INSTINCT WILL DO THE WORK!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 8:04 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i breastfed my daughter til she was 11m. it does hurt when they dont latch on correctly, but that is an easy fix. just pull out and try again. it is a little hard at first cuz u and the baby doesnt really know how to do it yet, i let my daughter suck on the bottle the hosp. provided to get the sucking part down, then introduced the nipple and after a little while we were both pros. as for the lactation specialist, mine peed me off more than helped me and she grabbed my nipple! so i would only ask for one if u get desperate and pray u have a good experience.and it really does help u lose ur weight fast. i was back down to my pre preg. weight in 3m, there is so many good things about breastfeeding!!! oh, and there is good times and painfull times. i was able to sleep on my side while my baby was nursing at times, and there was a few times i would b biting my hand through the pain but it gets better! good luck
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 8:56 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Okay, first, it will hurt the first week or so, use lanolin or some other nipple cream to prevent chapping and cracking or it will hurt a whole lot. but it all get's better. . . I nursed for 18 months and only stopped because we were thinking of having another kid and I wanted some time to recover.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:17 PM on May. 8, 2009