Putting a baby to sleep without crying it out

When my son turned about 4/5 months he realized when he goes to sleep he cant play so now anytime I have to put him down for a nap the only way to do it is to let himc ry it out. I hate it but he wont let me rock him or anything. So how do you put your little down without a hissy fit for every nap or bedtime

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 8:04 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my daughter was going through a phase where she was tired but didnt want me to rock her and would cry in her crib too, i would just make sure she wasnt hungry, didnt have a dirty diaper..all that jazz and if it was just tiredness (i could tell by the cry) the only choice was to let her cio, i would go rotate the laundry (take about 10min) and if she was still crying really hard, i would go see if i could rock her again, sometimes i could and sometimes she would still cry, and i would let her cry some more in her crib, usually by the 2nd 10 min she would be asleep. good luck
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 8:20 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Have you tried putting a toy (soft, safe crib toy) in with her. My daughter went through a period where she needed to play for about 15 minutes, and the she would slowly put her head down. it didn't work all the time, and I did resort to giving her a pacifier which puts her out in second (but I am slightly against that). My friend puts a music box in the crib with her daughter. It is safe for cribs apparently and her daughter holds it while she lies down and then she is out,
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 8:41 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Try putting your baby down earlier. I found the biggest challenge to a happy nap was waiting too long. An overly tired baby is much more difficult to get to bed than one who is only mildly tired. (It can be a very fine line at 5/6 mo.) Put baby down for a nap as soon as he shows signs of being sleepy (mine rubbed her eyes) but even being less interested in toys can be an indication that sleep is needed. Then, just make sure you're very consistent with your bedtime routine - it makes them feel safe. Also, don't rock baby to sleep and walk away. It can be very scary for a baby to go to sleep in moms arms and wake up alone. Put baby down drowsy but awake and he should watch you walk away. good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:00 PM on May. 8, 2009