She swallowed some bath water...What do you think??

My 2.5 yr old just swallowed some water from her play boat right as I was about to wash her. She was coughing and gagging but I got the water right out, dried her off, and made sure she was okay. I called the doctor immediately and she said she was okay if she was breathing, and not gasping for air. Anyway, we are playing right now and she is acting totally normal, but I am a paranoid worry wart as probably are most parents. I hear so much about this dry drowning, but her pedi said it's very rare and just to check on her. Do I take her to the hospital to be checked. Her color of the skin is normal, no problems breathing, and is playing normal.
PS-I am not one of those mothers who asked for medical advice on here if something were terribly wrong with my child. She is fine and talked to the docs. I just want to see what other moms say.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have 3 kids and each of them have done that, more than once each and they have been absolutely fine afterward and still are now. It's normal to worry, but like your doc said dry drowning is very rare so just keep an eye on her and call back if she starts acting strange.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:19 PM on May. 8, 2009

• she is fine. dry drowning is rare sad but rare and its not like there was a gallon of water. my son is 3 and still tends to drink bath water but he just like spiting it out more but i know he swallows some and at times the same thing has run threw my mind ( when i first heard about it ) but shes fine and docs said shes ok. i wouldnt worry. let her enjoy the bath time and u enjoy it to..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i think all kids wallow bath water from time to time. what the heck is dry drowning? dont worry so much momma.
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 8:33 PM on May. 8, 2009

• OP here- thanks for the input. It was more then just a little bit of the normal bath water-probably a decent amount for her to start gagging. That's why I was worried.
    Anonymous

• I know about dry drowning, my father used to tell us "You can drown in a cup of tea!!" He worked in a hospital emergency room and had seen it all.
    From what I understand the victims get really really abnormally tired. I would watch her for the next couple hours, but she is probably fine. My kids have done that as well and they turned out ok as well.
    Anonymous