Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 months and chocolate?

In a really dumb mom moment, I just gave my 10 month old daughter half of a fudge pop (one of those frozen fudgsicles). No more than 2 inches worth. But my husband just came home from work and kindly reminded me that infants are notsupposed to have chocolate. How right he is. How bad is this? Should I be calling the doctor?

Answer Question
 
rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 8:28 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Saw this quote on a different site:

    I don't think feeding her chocolate is good for their daughter's health. Small amounts of chocolate is good for health, but that's for grownups. There's too much sugar in chocolate and it's bad for babies' teeth. Also, as chocolate contains caffein and theobromie, it can be toxic if you eat too much. I wouldn't recommand giving chocolate to babies. I'd rather give them some natural food like fruits.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • Umm, I think they're not supposed to have it until at least one, because it is a high allergen. I'm not giving my daughter chocolate or sweets. She can get it as a treat occasionally once the outside world teaches her about it.
    BridgetC140

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • If she didn't break out into a rash, or isn't having trouble breathing, you're good. You may have a long night ahead of you with the caffeine content, but I wouldn't worry too much. Actually - you should check the ingredients of the fudge pop...a lot of those don't even contain chocolate, they're just chocolate flavored.
    ANGIE409

    Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:46 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • as long as your baby hasnt showed any signs of allergies she should be ok. and just a tiny amt like what you offered will do no harm.
    Owl_Feather

    Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:59 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • Chocolate can cause diarrhea and give her an allergic reaction. Also because of the caffeine content her heart rate can in case. If she is fine now I wouldn't worry about it but I wouldn't do it again. Also FYI, if you have a history of asthma in your family, chocolate is an asthmatic trigger and can cause an asthma attack.
    babyboomboom

    Answer by babyboomboom at 9:18 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • Seriously? I've never even heard that. I have three kids and I'm quite certain they all had chocolate before they were one!
    fluud7

    Answer by fluud7 at 10:19 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • As long as she acting normal (no rashes, splotches, and she's breathing fine) I wouldn't worry. They say not to give it to them because it's really not all that good... But it's not good for us either, and we still eat it. Doctors main reason for not giving babies chocolate before their 1 is because it's a high allergen food. My son had chocolate for the first time when he was like 5 months old (from his Mee-Maw).
    IrishMomma727

    Answer by IrishMomma727 at 11:03 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • Chocolate is an allergy trigger food; defintely should not be given to a baby under 1, and probably not until 2.
    rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:51 PM on May. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.