Does this feeding schedule sound right?

My daughter is 9.5 months and here is her feeding schedule:

7am-4 oz bottle
730am- some cherrios, but sometimes she doesn't want anything
10am-6 oz bottle
11am-jar of fruit
130pm-6 oz bottle
230pm-jar of vegetables and some puffs
5pm-5 oz bottle
630pm-jar of baby food and some tablefood for dinner - whatever she wants, doesn't eat much
8pm-7 oz bottle and right into bed

Does this sound like too much? I can never tell if she is hungry because she never cries for food, but seems relatively happy on this schedule. I don't want to over feed

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know what to tell you...my son was eating table food by then, but he nursed whenever he wanted, so his table food was supplemented that way, and I never knew how many ounces he was getting. I just let him eat when he wanted, and he was always satisfied.

Have you tried doing a google search to see if there is a recommended serving amount or daily meal plan for this age?
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 8:40 PM on May. 8, 2009

• ok that is a little much. you don't want her to be huge by 4 yrs old. try this

7 am 9 oz bottle ( more means more fullness to last longer)
    10 am 4 oz bottle with cherrios or puffed rice or puffed wheat
    noon or 1pm 6 oz bottle and 1 small jar baby food likely a veggie or fruit
    4pm about 1-2 ounces potatoes with a lil margerine salt and pepper to taste and a 6 0z bottle
    6pm a small snack like veggie puffs or a peach slice in a mesh food feeder for less mess ( try www.onestepahead.com) and 3 ounces of juice white grape is gentlest on a lil tummy
    8pm a 7-9 ounce bottle a warm bath and off to bed
    let me know if you try it and how it works
    and trust me she will complain if hungry give her time to realize that she is hungry if you over feed her she will never know what it truly feels like to be hungry or full.
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 8:41 PM on May. 8, 2009

• That feeding schedule sounds fine. I've always believed that you should let baby eat on demand. However, now that your baby is getting older (approaching 12 mo.), you're going to want to start shifting the focus away from formula/breastmilk and more towards solid foods. I would start giving solids first and bottles later (i.e. Solid Breakfast, bottle mid morning, solid lunch, bottle mid afternoon, etc.) so that she is eating solids when she is the most hungry. I believe my pediatrician wanted me down to 18 oz of formula a day by 9 mo. and 12 oz by 12 mo. (giving dairy to supplement). If her weight is good, then she is good.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• oh and if you are worried the 9 oz bottle is a lil much dont worry you will know if she has had enough and what she stops at say 6 or 7 or even 8 then you know next time to only give her the amount she ate last time. :)
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 8:43 PM on May. 8, 2009

• By that age, mine were on table foods, eating three meals and three snacks.

Wake and breakfast.
    Mid-morning...snack
    noon-ish...lunch
    mid afternoon...snack
    5:30ish...supper
    7:30-8ish...snack
    9ish...bed

I always just gave a sippy of formula or milk (depending on their age) with a meal. Snacks were juice/water mixed with some finger foods.

They were on this schedule from about 6 months on...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:01 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I think that schedule sounds fine. If she is happy and you are happy then let it be. She should still be getting most of her nutrition from formula or breastmilk. Just watch for signs of her being full, she will turn her head or fuss when she is full or if she isn't hungry.
    one2many

Answer by one2many at 9:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

• that sounds fine my little boy has 6oz bottles all day and when we give food he gets 4.5 oz and he does good but he eats ever 2-3 hrs too
    badensmom

Answer by badensmom at 9:57 PM on May. 8, 2009

• it does sound good. try getting more onto solids though. the earlier you introduce them the more success you will have. my daughter is 9 1/2 months as well and shes on all table food, with formula in a sippy at meal times.

and I know what you mean about not knowing when theyre hungry. my dd doesnt cry either, even if shes absolutely starving, so I know how frustrating it can be. right now your focuse should be on more food, less formula. as it is your dd doesnt seem like shes drinking a ton of it, so she would be perfect to get onto a sippy with meal times. this will make your life so much easier as she gets older bc you wont have to wean her from a bottle!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:07 PM on May. 8, 2009

• It's probably fine, but you must feel like you're feeding her constantly! Lol.

Mine were all on table food at that age and ate 4 times a day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner with the family (around 8, noon, and 5) and then a snack and bottle (or nursed) before bed (8p).

I always fed them first, then gave them milk/formula.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 10:17 PM on May. 8, 2009

• sound great to me...

as long as she's eatting, it's fine :).. it's when they start to loose weight or refuse to eat that it becomes a problem.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:09 PM on May. 8, 2009