im scared! need some comforting words please

we are under a tornado watch and i have never been through a tornado. im scared that we will get one while im sleeping and i wont hear the sirens or be able to protect my baby. i know this might sound stupid but hubby is out of town so i have nobody to tell me that my fears are silly. lol-any advice or comforting words would be appreciated. thanks mommas :)

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 8:51 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• a WATCH only means there are thunderstorms in your area, capable of producing a tornado...it doesnt mean there will be one! if it becomes a warning or advisory, then a wall cloud or funnel has been spotted. but dont worry mama!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:56 PM on May. 8, 2009

• we had the same thing going on here in SW missouri this morning! when i lived in LR there were 2 that jumped over my house! there is really nothing you can do if it hits while you are sleeping but if you are awake i suggest go to the center part of your house where there are no windows! if you are that scared have your baby sleep with you that is the only way you would be able to try to protect it! good luck
    KimberlyAnn85

Answer by KimberlyAnn85 at 8:57 PM on May. 8, 2009

• thank you- i know it must sound silly but i worry that i will be asleep and not be able to protect my little guy.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:58 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i never xperenced one sorry all i can say is maybe sleep with the local channel on the t.v maybe you will hear an alert. and just have an xcape plan in case it happens know what you will do and were u will go and how u will get there. like a fire xcape plan i wish i could help u more and calm you nerves. xo best wishes mama xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:59 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Don't worry I get the same way!!! Go hide under the blankets.. thats what I do :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:01 PM on May. 8, 2009

• nah not silly at all! I was very scared onetime. this was way before I had my baby, even before I met SO, but I lived way out in the country by myself, no phone reception or anything, where tornadoes were known to touch down. one evening the thunderstorms were very intense, I heard the warnings on the radio station every few minutes, and I lived in an old 1940's handbuilt house, it was like the wizard of oz. but everything was ok lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:02 PM on May. 8, 2009

• thank you ladies. i really appreciate you gals taking to time to comfort me :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Trust me when the tornado is near you you will hear it and wake up. The storm around the tornado is so noisy that unless you are the kind of person who sleeps like the dead you will wake up and hear it.

And it is just a watch like someone else said when it becomes a warning or advisory take cover.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 9:08 PM on May. 8, 2009

• You know before I got pregnant I used to stand outside during huge storms and watch them. Once I got pregnant I am petrified anytime there is a huge storm. What helps me is to remember that there has NEVER been a tornado in my area and I keep a box filled with storm necessities (bottles water diapers bottles formula canned goods can openeer flashlight batteries blanket etc) I have on eof these emergency kits in both of my cars and in the basement right by the landing so if anything does get bad I am ready! Npw if you live in an area that does experience a lot fo tornados why not set an alarm to go off every hour so you can check the weather if your really concerned but I think you would wake up, or if you have a finished basement put an air mattress or something down ther eand you and your baby hang out down there tonight
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 9:26 PM on May. 8, 2009

• it's okay to be afraid for your baby. I remember a bad storm we had. Similar situation. They (tornados) are not noted around here. But on the news there were watches for them. Then the power went out, the wind, hail, rain, thunder, were all pretty scary. One of the bolts of lightning hit our house. I picked up DD (who was 6 months at the time) and pulled the rocking chair into the livingroom (center of the house) and just rocked with her for hours in candle light (when the lightning hit, we lost power). SO was on duty for the night so it was just me and her. Thankfully everything worked out. No touch downs. Some wind damage to some areas, but mostly in the country areas. Hopefully that's all this is. Just cuddling with my DD helped me get through the night. The next day when she napped, I slept like a baby making up for the night before. But I was just so happy everything was fine.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:40 PM on May. 8, 2009