What could cause random nose bleeds for a child?

my son is almost 4 and has been having them for the past year, maybe less. my brother and i both had these as kids. we both have seasonal and pet allergies. i thought it might be sinus related.

BubbysMom208

Asked by BubbysMom208 at 8:57 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Spa is right, try a humidifier. If that doesn't work, see an Ear, Nose, and Throat doc. My son had been having this problem for seveal years now. My husband casually mentioned it to his own ENT doc in March. We've tried everything, put vasolene up his nose at night to keep it moistened, humidifier, etc. The doc said it sounded like the blood vessels in his nose were too close to the surface of the skin. The doctor can cauterize them and it makes the blood vessels pull back. He had it done March 25th and he hasn't had a nose bleed since (he had been having them almost every night for 3 years and sometimes during the day too). It takes about 5 minutes to have done. Good Luck.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:06 PM on May. 8, 2009

• If the air is dry it could dry out the membranes in his nose making them more fragile. Sometimes a humidifier helps. Allergies with frequent sneezing/blowing can also cause nosebleeds. (My Mom suffers form them during allergy season)Ask your Dr.
    spababy120

Answer by spababy120 at 8:59 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Make sure he keeps his finger outta there! lol
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 9:08 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Allergies, dry air, dehydration, too much exploration.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 PM on May. 8, 2009

• for my daughter, our doctor said it is a combo of seasonal allergies and her picking her nose.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:33 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Allergies, dry air. Take a qtip with a little Vaseline on it and rub it inside his nose to keep it moist. Tell him to keep his little fingers out of his nose because excessive picking causes nose bleeds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on May. 8, 2009