Spacecraft for an egg... Any engineers out there?

My daughter has a project that she wants to try on the effects of gravity. She is to design a "spacecraft" in which a raw, yes, RAW egg will be placed. The "spacecraft will then be dropped, thrown and other forms of torture! The craft must be able to be opened to check the condition of the egg and then closed again for more torture if it is in tact. Last unbroken egg remaining wins. We are thinking of some type of suspension where straps hold the egg and act as shock absorbers or wrapping it in foam inside a kick ball... Anyone have a better idea?

lynmilly

Asked by lynmilly at 8:57 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'd ask the folks at UPS! They're supposed to be experts at packing fragile stuff without breakage.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:00 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I saw something on a show called Zoom when I was a kid, they did something like this. They made some kind of shelter around the raw egg made out of straws. I can't really describe how they did it, but all I know is that it was made out of straws......Apparently straws are pretty shock absorbent.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:29 PM on May. 8, 2009

• they have contests for this exact thing in colleges all the time. Try googling it and using one of the winning ideas

Answer by admckenzie at 10:38 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I remember having to do that in school MANY long years ago. I think I used layers of cardboard (I wasn't much into it) and my egg broke, of course. I cannot remember what was used for the winner, but think of something that will take the impact of the shock of when it hits the ground, but won't transfer that shock to the egg.
    Perhaps bubble wrap? Packing peanuts? Don't use cotton balls because they aren't dense enough. Don't use anything too dense because then there is no room for the material to absorb the shock of hitting the ground.
    I like the idea of asking a UPS store, just be sure it isn't considered cheating by the teacher.
    Best wishes to your daughter!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:20 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My daughter had to do this at school last year (8th grade). they threw them off the roof onto grass, then onto asphalt. She made a giant fluffy pillow and put it inside. The ones that worked were all a grid structure made out of stuff like straws, sticks, etc. with the egg suspended inside. ALL the structures that worked broke on impact, absorbing the energy, but leaving the egg sitting in the wreckage intact.
    dottieanna29

Answer by dottieanna29 at 10:38 AM on May. 9, 2009