Does anyone else's newborn watch tv? Is that a bad thing?

ok so I have 2 42' tv's and we're definitely the type of family that seems to have the tv going all day long, whether we're watching it or not. My boyfriend was raised on tv, or so he says and I just go along for the ride. But I had no idea my 10 week old would be so into the tele. It's crazy, she twists her head as far as it will go just to get a peek at it. Sge just stares and stares at it like a little zombie! I wasn 't planning on letting her watch tv until at least 2 yrs old. I wasn't allowed to watch tv until I was ten. But it seems like I'm going to have to turn it off a little earlier than I expected. Do you think tv affects a newborns brain development? All those flashing lights and sounds and no interaction? At this early age I just don't know...

Liv32

Asked by Liv32 at 9:19 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my boys watched TV and they are both happy and health little boys. I never put them in front of any of the "baby tv" crap though. They always watched cartoons or something.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:26 PM on May. 8, 2009

• tv is a good distraction, but for a newborn, dont just sit her in front of the tv so you can do chores or as a way to calm her down. she wont learn anything from the shows. in fact, since it isnt face to face, live interaction, she wont learn any milestones as she would if you played with her!
    Anonymous

• Yes, I think TV is very bad for baby's brain development. It's recommended that children under 1 watch no TV. and even older toddlers very little TV and only programs for toddlers. I honestly think excessive TV watching hinders language development and contributes to attention problems. My son's day care does 1/2 hour of TV in the afternoon and I'm very unhappy about it.  The only thing that makes me feel better about it is that his teacher says he just plays the whole time anyway.

It sounds like your instincts are telling you it's a bad idea.  You should trust them.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:27 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My daughter is attracted to the television to, but i keep her away because i don't beleive any good can come from her watching television at this age. as far as if it rotts there brains well i heard it is not good for there development. but she's your daughter and I never heard of a baby dying from watching TV
    persuasion91297

Answer by persuasion91297 at 9:31 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Instead of t.v., turn music on. Classical is great for babies.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 9:34 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My 5 month old son watches TV at times if I am busy with housework. I have a 12 year old who also watched tv when he was younger and he is a straight "A" student. I think it depends on what they are watching and how long you allow them to watch TV. I know that they say that this can slow their communication skills-I really don't believe it to be true. Even so I think that they will eventually catch up to their peers. I would like to know how they can say that the communication delay was due to watching television. I would imagine that there is not clear evidence on the matter. If your child watches NO TV -are you intercating with them 24/7? If not I would think having them watch an educational program would actually be quite helpful???
    javiandjaysmom

Answer by javiandjaysmom at 9:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• at my house we have the tv on and my 10 month old loves family guys and ever time it comes on he stops and he will which it till it goes off and that is the only one he will stop to look at. i dont think it is bad but who every really know but i am going to let he which it if he wants too.
    badensmom

Answer by badensmom at 9:52 PM on May. 8, 2009

• It's just the colors and sounds she likes, but studies do show that babies who start watching tv early, it will show up later when they are school age, it can affect their learning abilities. Maybe not for all kids, but I wouldn't want to take the chance. :) Mozart music stimulates brain activity.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:53 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My 4 month old is attracted to the TV too. If my husband sits down to play XBox, she will crane her head around from what she's doing and not take her eyes off the screen, lol. So instead of having nonsense on the TV, I just keep Baby Einstein going pretty much all day so it stimulates her brain (classical music) BUT she doesn't watch it all day. It's kinda background noise basically. But if she does watch it, it's not hurting anything.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:04 PM on May. 8, 2009

• When my oldest was a baby he loved to watch deal or no deal. I think it was all the lights and the music.
    Anonymous