Jesus the Carpenter?

Was Jesus or Joseph a carpenter? Can someone please tell me where in the Bible or what historical document told use Jesus was a carpenter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Joseph was a Carpenter.
    Anonymous

• LOOK IT UP ON BLUELETTERBIBLE.COM
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:50 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Matthew 13:54...they asked "Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary...?"
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 9:55 PM on May. 8, 2009

• thank you armywife.

if I wanted to look it up, I wouldn't ask. :-) my internet runs slow and this is easier.
    Anonymous

• Joseph was the carpenter but in those days the sons followed their father's trade so Jesus was taught carpentry as he grew up.
    Anonymous

• "The Greek word tekton, translated 'carpenter' in Mark 6:3, has the root meaning of 'artisan,' that is, a skilled worker who works on some hard material such as wood or stone or even horn or ivory .... In Jesus' day construction workers were not as highly specialized as in today's work force. For example, the tasks performed by carpenters and masons could easily overlap" (Richard A. Batey, Jesus & the Forgotten City: New Light on Sepphoris and the Urban World of Jesus, p. 76).
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:05 AM on May. 9, 2009

• In classical Greek, the primary (and original) meaning of τέκτων was carpenter or wood-worker, but depending on the writer & period it could also mean mason, metal-worker, sculptor, or a craftsman in any art, e.g. τέκτονες σοφοὶ ("wise craftsmen, craftsmen of wisdom") to refer to poets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I am not sure if the Bible actually states if he is one or not....but I watched a show on tv that talked about Jesus' life and what it most likely was like, and they said he was more likely a stone worker. They said that the area he was raised in didn't have many trees for lumber and most of the buildings an such were made of stone. I found that interesting actually since I remember being told growing up that he was a carpenter.
    ShannonLeigh02

Answer by ShannonLeigh02 at 11:02 PM on May. 11, 2009