How old does a child have to be before you can give them water?

I have a 3 week old son and where I live its extremely hot. People have been telling me its ok to give him some water to keep him hydrated. Is this ok?

kweenspade0503

Asked by kweenspade0503 at 9:43 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its best not to. He gets all the liquids he needs from formula or breastmilk (it is okay to give him more of either on hot days). His body will discard what he doesn't need. Giving too much water (which can be a relatively small amount) can lead to dangerous imbalances in key organs. The amount of water a baby can have is typically proportional to how much solid food they are taking in. So, when you start solids (4-6 mo.) you can start giving small amounts of water/juice.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:47 PM on May. 8, 2009

• yes, its ok but be very careful to not over hydrate him. very little water will be fine. he get what he needs from the formula or breast milk.
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 9:48 PM on May. 8, 2009

• When my baby was that young and I thought she was dehydrated, I would make a bottle of formula, say an 8oz bottle, but I would only put enough powder in it for a 6 oz bottle. That way she would get 2 oz extra of water, but it wouldn't hurt her stomach or anything like that. I also have a little medicine dropper thing, it looks like a one inch tall bottle with a nipple on it. I'll put one ounce of warm water in it and give it to her on occasion if she's constipated or something. But if you're breastfeeding, just keep on breastfeeding, but up YOUR intake of water so she'll stay hydrated. There is lots of water in breastmilk.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:56 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I wanted to add one more thing. My mom was babysitting my daughter when she was about 2 months old, and she thought it would be ok to feed her a bottle of water because she seemed "thirsty". She gave her a 4 oz bottle of water, and my little girl drank it all up, but because she had never had pure water before, she threw it all up and was pretty much vomiting for about an hour or so afterwards. So don't give your baby TOO much water.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:59 PM on May. 8, 2009

• 6 months, NEVER WATER DOWN FORMULA AS MENTIONED ABOVE IT CAN KILL YOUR BABY!!!!
    http://chemistry.about.com/b/2006/01/17/water-intoxication-babies.htm
    http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/about/news/release/2000/7-water.htm
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

• It is NOT okay to give a baby under 12 mos water!!! This can result in KIDNEY FALIURE!!!! When my daughter was an infant, the doc said NO H2O and my grandma asked him why, he then told her that it results in KIDNEY FAILURE!!! DON"T do it!!! Your baby gets all the hydration she needs in her formula!! Check with your doc if it is okay to give dilluted amounts of juice. But she is probably WAY too young. Babies have to buld up a tollerance for just water, there little bodies are just too new to give them just water.
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 10:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Also if you fell your baby is getting dehydrated, of course ALWAYS CALL your doc first but pedilyte is always safe. They may recomennd you use it to mix with formula IN PLACE of water.
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 10:08 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Tabi-cat, I'd appreciate you to NOT send those messages. I did what I did, as per doctor's orders. Get a life.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:31 PM on May. 8, 2009

• tabi_cat1023 Is 100% right!!!!

if people start getting lazy on making formula bottles they will get rid of formula all together and we will be stuck breastfeeding! AHHHHH lol

But really she is right.. It says on many many many sites. DO NOT give a baby water until 12 months or other wise told to do so by a DR.. NOT GOOGLE!
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:10 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I can see where you would be concerned, but unless your baby is outside for long periods of time which should not be the case if he is only 3 weeks old, and sweating excessively water is not necessary. Formula/breastmilk is all he needs at this point. Dont dilute the formula, dont give him diluted juice, just stick to regular formula.
    vivianasmom

Answer by vivianasmom at 11:12 PM on May. 8, 2009