How can I get my very sick 3 year old to take her medicine???

My daughterr is 3years old and she has a very bad cold. She is absolutly miserable!!! She refuses to take medicine! She can taste it in ANYTHING I put it in. I've tried gatoraide, lemonade, orange juice, koolaide, pudding; just to name a FEW! I don't know what else to do. I've tried all the home remides she just refuses everything. She's a very sick, strong willed little girl and nothing I am doing is helping her! Please if you have ANY suggestions PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE!!!
Thank you in advance,
Desperate to help my baby

madsmom314

Asked by madsmom314 at 9:52 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is it over the counter? If so, some have those little strips of medication that you set on the child's tongue and it dissolves quickly.

Answer by Bmat at 9:55 PM on May. 8, 2009

• what if she got a cool sticker or a fuge pop or something after she took her medicine. She doesnt understand if she takes it she will feel better by incorporating some other form of bribery she may be more willing to take it
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 9:58 PM on May. 8, 2009

• umm its mean but it works...get someone to hold her like shes still a baby, but make sure her arms are pinned against their body. tilt her head back just slightly and pinch her nose, when she opens her mouth (use a squirt type measuring thing not a spoon) poor in just a little close her mouth with your hand and hold it closed til she swallows. you can rub her cheeks and neck a bit to get her to swallow if she won't and just keep going til its gone. my dd hates taking meds (to the point where i've had to take her to the ER to take tylenol by a shot or rectally to lower fevers b/c she won't take it) and this usually works for her. and then tonight when she goes to bed, take an ice tray put a dose of her meds in about half the cubes (or however many you think you'll need) and fill the rest w/juice, then use those "ice cubes" in a cup of juice next time she has to take the meds, and let her see you make the juice so she CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

• doesn't think you've put the meds in her drink
    vabchmommy

• My dd is 2.5 when she was 2 she went into the hospital for emergency surgery & stayed for 1wk, she had to take THE MOST NASTY meds by mouth (it made me gag!) to come home :( -it was christmas! first we held her down twice to give her the meds (FREAKING HEART BREAKING), the next day the nurse handed the syringe to my dd & my dd took it all by herself.
    If you dont have one (it looks exactly like a needle with a slightly bigger hole) go ask the pharmasist & they can give you one... maybe she will feel like a big girl doing it herself.. and find a flavor she likes. get a doll & act like the doll loves the meds. you & daddy take it too.

also, dd loves to act like you dont want her kisses & wiping them away.. act like that with the meds-- YOU "take" the meds & say "no, you cant have any its YUMMY! Mommys medicine!" & be playful about it. maybe that will help?
    good luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:21 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Oh if you have to force her & hold her down, put the syringe in the corner of her mouth, near her back teeth. the nurse at my dd hospital said there is a gland back there that will automatically make you swallow... im sure if you feel around in your own mouth u can find the gland yourself.. it made total sense to me once the nurse told me.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:24 PM on May. 8, 2009

• If you have to put the meds in while holding her like a baby... blow in her face after you put the meds in, it makes them gasp and they'll automatically swallow. I had to do that with my dd till this year (she's 8) with any of the liquids. She'd gag on the pills so I had to get chewable and then she'd try gagging on them... was a nightmare but amazingly enough one day we said "I bet you can't swallow this pill" and the child not only did it but did it without anything to even drink to prove me wrong... and to think of all of the kicking, screaming, gagging and spitting it in my face for years.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 4:13 PM on May. 9, 2009