Purity Rings/Ceremonies

My neighbor's daughter was part of a purity ceremony at her church, and she said it was the closest thing she has seen to a wedding. Is this a religious Christian ceremony, or do other religions have similar ceremonies. Why have we only heard about these ceremonies over the past few years? It is new?
BTW, I dont see any harm in it. I just wonder if this is a fad, or if people really do keep their promise.

dragonfly7271

Asked by dragonfly7271 at 10:11 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it may be new.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a new thing to help motivate teens to practice abstinence.  Or maybe it isn't new, I don't really know.  I've only heard about it after I graduated high school.  I think it's an okay idea.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:16 PM on May. 8, 2009

• lol, as to whether or not people keep their promise...i guess they're really the only ones who know that. I mean, teens are fickle, right?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:17 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I like the idea of it. The only problem I have with it is that the bible speaks against making promises to God in any case. It is better not to tell God you are going to do it than to make a promise and break it. God bless.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 10:21 PM on May. 8, 2009

• there was actually a study on it, and there is a very high percentage of the people that take that promise, don't keep it. as for it being new, no, it's not. alot of churches do it, but then again some others do it that aren't in church. there are some youth organizations that will have a father daughter "date night", and the fathers ask thier daughters to make the promise. they get dressed up and they have dancing, food, ect.

i, unfortunately am one of those high percentages that didn't keep the promise. i certainly wish i had though
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:24 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I've seen a few shows on it... and I know that they like to showcase the more extreme cases, but the whole thing is a little creepy to me.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:29 PM on May. 8, 2009

• it's not new....

i actually know of a couple who kept it.. a former co-worker.. we were all shocked because he and his bride-to-be hadn't even kissed.. they were saving it until their wedding day... thought it was kewl.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 10:35 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Just another fad I think. Years ago, some churches encouraged temperance pledges, similar kind of ceremony. Now they are less concerned with the demon drink than with the demon sex.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:41 PM on May. 8, 2009

• its not new. i had a purity ceremony when i was in...lets see...8th grade i believe (1999). it was a big dinner thing & my parents were there. we pledge to our parents & God to stay pure & they gave us a key that we were suppose to give to our DH at our wedding. it was very emotional for my parents & my friends were all doing it.

it didnt mean squat to me, i did it for my parents. it didnt work (i didnt care enough) & i hadnt planned on waiting till marriage when i took the oath. i just did it so that my parents wouldn't have to worry about me. that and i felt pressured into doing it b/c my friends were all doing it & my parents knew about it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:19 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Now they are less concerned with the demon drink than with the demon sex.

Demon sex!  LOL Now that's gotta be sinful!

dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 11:38 PM on May. 8, 2009