Temper tantrums...

My daughter turned 2 in March..and since then, it's been non-stop fit throwing. I've tried everything from time outs, to ignoring, to spanking. NOTHING seems to work. I don't want to coddle her and pick her up all the time -- I don't want her to think that behavior is OK. I'm not sure what to do.

I feel ready to pull my hair out with the screaming and the "no" consistently. I want my baby back. I'm to the breaking point and I'm not sure what to do. The fits last for what seems to be a lifetime if I try to ignore it..and she's to the point where she's hitting, kicking and biting (me and herself.)

Anyone have any ideas?

LoathingYew

Asked by LoathingYew at 10:19 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put her in her room and walk away, tell her when she is done she can come out. that way she knows that one its not ok to throw the tantrum and two when she stops she is allowed to go back to wherever everyone else is. and that way you don't have to see/hear it as bad. if you are somewhere out in public and its over wanting something than leave right away that way she knows it won't work. if she sees you get annoyed and frustrated she'll realize that the tantrum is having some kind of affect on you so she'll keep doing it, if all you do is calmly pick her up and move her telling her when she is done she can join the group again than she'll realize it doesn't get her any attention and it doesn't phase you (you know it does but try not to let her see it). good luck and it takes awhile for them to really stop, hate to break it to you.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:29 PM on May. 8, 2009

• At this age kids don't always have the skills to express their anger. Acknowledge that she is mad (ask her so she has to answer and acknowledge it and verbalize it rather than showing you physically) tell her you understand she is mad. If she continues, tell her you don't want to be around her when she is acting this way (put her in time out) then when she calms down praise her for doing so. Read books together about appropriate behavior...see some here http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html (click on Temper tantrums/acting out)

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:30 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Trade her in for a boy! That's what I'm gonna do! J/K My daughter is a pain in the butt too.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 6:31 AM on May. 9, 2009

• no boys do it too lol. Well my son likes to run from me in stores now and that just gets him into trouble but he finds it funny
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 7:00 AM on May. 9, 2009