HELP!!! How can I get my VERY sick 3 year old to take her medicine???

My daughterr is 3years old and she has a very bad cold. She is absolutly miserable!!! She refuses to take medicine! She can taste it in ANYTHING I put it in. I've tried gatoraide, lemonade, orange juice, koolaide, pudding; just to name a FEW! I don't know what else to do. I've tried all the home remides she just refuses everything. We've tried the humidifier, vapor rub, suckers with vitamin c and zinc in them, sitting in the bathroom while a hot shower runs, homemade fresh orange smoothies. She wants nothing, I fell helpless, theres nothing worse than not being able to help your child. She continues to cough, sneeze, runny nose and eyes, and sore throat. She's a very sick, strong willed little girl and nothing I am doing is helping her! And to top it all off I am getting sick now and I am 9 months pregnant! Please if you have ANY suggestions PLEASE HELP!!!
Thank you in advance,
Desperate to help my baby

madsmom314

Asked by madsmom314 at 10:20 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• if she doesn't have a fever and none of the suggestions in the other posts worked, than just try to keep her comfy and let it run its course. it sucks but my daughter is the same way, shes very very strong willed and i have to pin her down or take her to the er to get her to take meds sometimes. so if its not prescrip or something for a fever, than the best i can tell you is to let it run its course, most things like that don't last more than 2-3 days. sorry it sucks i know, i'm preg and my dd just got me sick and she won't take anything, and its the same thing stuffy nose, sore throat and a cough. all you can do is keep offering juice or water (milk makes the stuffiness worse) and keep her comfy.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:25 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I know Where you are cause I have been there too. My daughter use to be the same way . we did everything even to the point of holding her nose and making her take it ( which was meds for somthing else at the time , cause the Dr said she had to get it in her. ) All I can say is keep trying . You might try talking to her now telling her your sick and that you want to feel better and take some in front of her ( I'll cross my fingers for you cause i know this didn't work with mine when she was that age but worth a try ) good luck
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 10:25 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Try putting whatever kind of medicine you want to go into her system into her favorite drink. I have to resort to this with my son most of the time when he runs a fever and won't take his tylonol.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:30 PM on May. 8, 2009

• oh you know what else has worked for me before, bribing her with a sip of soda after taking it. so maybe if she has a favorite snack of all time that she doesn't get alot of you can tell her if you take this real quick you can have a .....
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:32 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i have been there also. The only thing that worked was giving the med cup to her and encouraging her to take it. so maybe shes like my little girl and will take it if she can do it herself???
    Good luck.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:34 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Oh my oldest was so tough and stubborn. I would have to get the dropper and stick it into the side of his cheek towards the back of his mouth and squirt it in and kind of hold his mouth so he had to swallow it. Sometimes he would spit it back in my face. I felt terrible because I really had to hold him. Now with my 3 others my husband taught me some things. He would hold them and use that nose sucker even at 3. You have to get it out or it can cause a nasty infection...there are those saline drops too...they learned to blow their nose really quick. I know this sounds terrible and really tough but it has to be done. We always gave them lots of love afterwards..and they would begin to feel better.
    Then give her lots of clear liquids because it will help wash it out of her and keep like her runny nose thinner. Keep doing what you are doing..She will get better..just get that medicine in her.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:35 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I also wanted to tell you that instead of using the liquid medicine I got the Mucinex crystal packets that you just pour onto the kids tongue and they swallow it and it dissolves. Also those strips may work too.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 10:36 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Feverall is a suppository that does work well. Not that you really wanna do that but in a worst case scenario.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:28 PM on May. 8, 2009