Living with HSV 1

Within this last month I got the news that I had HSV 1. I recently had a child 6mo ago. I get tested on my own every 4-6 months. It didn't come up any time within my pregnancy. The nurse that called me just stated I had HSV 1, I asked her if I needed to tell anyone, she said no. And I was left with this information. My partner got tested and he does not have it. My previous partner has gotten tested and does not have it either. I have not been with anyone in between those two. I have no clue how I could have gotton it. I am so confused. I feel so horrible. I have three children. I am so scared for them to catch it. I hate myself so much. I don't know what to do. My question is, if anyone has it how do you deal with it at home, with your kids? With your relationships? With your daily life? I don't want to stop being affectionate with my children but it feels like thats what I should do... Can anyone please offer some info.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Health

• What is HSV 1? I know that HIV can take up to five years to show up in tests....but I don't think I know what HSV is.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:35 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Herpes Simplex 1
    Anonymous

• Okay. Well, that sucks. I had a friend once who had a false positive somehow on a blood test for herpes. She thought she had it for a year until she found out that she didn't. She was very much into hygeine so it wouldn't spread, so I guess do what you can to make sure you clean up after you use the toilet or anything personal. I guess maybe keep some clorox wipes in your bathroom for quick disinfection? Although you'd have to ask your dr if that will work. About the affection part, I guess you should talk to your dr about that too because I have no idea. I know with HIV the only real way for the virus to spread is through blood/ sexual contact, but I don't know if herpes spreads the same way or not. So maybe you can just make sure to have a first aid kit with some gloves in your house in case you get hurt. I used to volunteer for RAIN (Regional Aids Interfaith Network) and they know about other stds too. Also, you
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• could call your local planned parenthood, and they could probably help you out as to how to deal with your illness and how it affects your personal relationships. I hope I'm helping. I'm so so sorry you have to go through this.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:44 PM on May. 8, 2009

• have it. Things that make you have more OB (out breaks) are caffine, choclate, and stress. drink lot of water and you will be just fine. i know its scarey but so many please have it your not alone. you will find love with it! its ok :) hope i helped alittle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I don't have it but my best friend found out last year that she has it. Her ex boyfriend aparently had it and knew it and didn't tell her. She didn't find out that she had it until she got pregnant and went to the doctor and they tested her for it because she had never had a breakout before. Her husband was tested and he has it now too so they don't have to worry a whole lot about their relationship. Since the guy you are with doesn't have it then just make sure you wear condoms when you have sex and try not to have sex when/if you have a breakout. My friend says that worst thing about having it is just the stigma that comes with it. She had 1 breakout and she said it was just more annoying than anything. She is taking Valtrex (very expensive stuff) and it has been working well for her. Also keep your immune system up by eating healthy and exercising and you will probably be less prone to breakouts. (cont)...
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 12:32 AM on May. 9, 2009

• as the previous poster said, just make sure to wash your hands and not share things that have touched you there to make sure you don't pass it on. My friend had her baby after finding out she had it and she was still able to have a vaginal delivery, not sure if you were planning on having anymore kids but if you are don't let this stop you. They'll do a Csection if you have a breakout during the time you go into labor and it is extremely unlikely the child will get the disease. Many people have gone years and never had a breakout. I think what you need to work on is the emotional part because like I said it comes with a stigma (which is completely wrong, you were just someone who had an unfortunate situation). Keep loving the kids, they are not going to get it from you being a good loving mother.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 12:36 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Don't call me stupid. maybe before you open your mouth you should re-read my post. I said, I don't know about HSV, I know about HIV because I used to do volunteer work, and I told this person where they can et info on what to do. You know what really irritates me about people like you? Do not hide behind "anonymous" if you have something negative to say about someone else.
    As for the person who posted the question, I hope that you got the answers you needed, and again, I'm so sorry you have to go through this.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:08 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Ok..I know how you feel!! I just found out I have it. I had a cold sore on my mouth and my dr was concerned about it. I got a call yesterday saying that's what it is. I feel exactly like you do!! I have no idea how I got it...I think about the guys I've been with and nothing makes sense!! I hate myself too. I feel like nobody will ever want me now. I'm so worried about everything now!

This was written a while ago..so I don't know if you'll even get this.
    Anonymous

• 80% of the adult population is positive for HSV-1....you're not alone...don't feel bad.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/783113-overview
    hopinforanother

Answer by hopinforanother at 11:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2009