what do you do when baby (10 weeks) absolutely refuses the bottle?

I wanted to trim this mess of hair at the salon but I tried baby on the bottle and she'll have none of it! She loves the boob and only the boob. What can I do? I need to get out and about and run errands eventually!! Starting to feel trapped. She's in that fussy stage where taking her out is OUT of the question for me...

Liv32

Asked by Liv32 at 10:39 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I understand what you are going through.. I tried dipping the nipple of the bottle into a little bit of sugar water and she finally took it.. try giving her a binkie while you are there and once she gets used to the binkie once in a while she wont mind the bottle as much.. also are you pumping and giving her the milk in the bottle or are you trying to give her formula? if you are feeding her formula in the bottle thats the problem. breastfed babies tend to not like formula.. i wouldnt blame them.. anyways try those things.. also.. i know it sounds mean but if your baby is hungry enough she will eat from the bottle.. just keep trying while you are home instead of you going away and all of a sudden shes forced to try the bottle.. breastfeed her and then stop and hand her a bottle of just pumped breastmilk from the other side.. if you do that and shes not starving she is more likely to take it. plus its the perfect temperature
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 10:45 PM on May. 8, 2009

• it's easier if you give your baby to someone else and leave the room. if your baby smells you then she'll cry for you until she gets you. if you have to, leave for a while, she'll eat when she's hungry and realizes that she's just not going to get you, she'll end up taking the bottle. i babysat a baby like that and that's what worked
    Anonymous

• Here is a bump for ya and maybe you can get some answers!!! I know where your coming from w/ this cause I had the SAME prob!!!! I was nursing and she ONLY wanted ME!! Which was cool cause I wanted it to be that was, only prob was when I needed to go out somewhere she was like "mom its time to eat again". So needless to say we made quite a few frequent stops here and there to nurse! Still to this day she looks at me chest and I swear they remember breastfeeding lol cause she used to call them booboos! lol and she is 15 mnts now and has fully stoped nursing and she STILL points and says that! It does feel like your tied down a bit though and it CAN be stress full also.. Do you pump your milk in the bottle, or are you supplementing with formula or anything like that. See my prob was I couldnt pump enough out to give her the bottle of breast milk, so I tried to supp, but she HATED it (which I dont blame her). Good Luck though!! =)
    3greatkids751

Answer by 3greatkids751 at 11:43 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Someone besides you needs to give the bottle, and you need to not be around. It will be easiest if there is breastmilk in the bottle (havs you ever smelled or tasted formula?)

Answer by rkoloms at 11:47 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Can't help you there. My son goes with me 99% of the time. If I am going to be gone no more than a hour to two, I will leave my son with my mom or his dad but only after I have nursed him. Then I make sure I am back home to nurse him. He hasn't going a bottle in 2 months. He has had one since he came home and that is it.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:48 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Your second answerer gave you the correct answer. STOP trying to give it yourself. Hand the babgy over to a sitter and GO. Get out of the house.

Let me give you the cookie analogy. If you visited grandma while she was baking her best cookies, and she served you stale store-bought cookies, you might well be insulted. If she served you the stale cookies while waving a fresh batch under your nose, you'd think she was NUTS.

Your breasts = fresh cookies.

Bottle = stale cookies.

Mom giving a bottle is generally a waste of mom's time. Hand baby over, LEAVE. no need to rehearse. When she's truly hungry she'll take it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Have you tried taking baby in a sling with you? My son always quieted down when he was in a sling up close to me. I could even get my hair cut with him in the sling under the drape. He'd nurse and be perfectly content.

If not, you'll have the best luck if you pump milk to leave with the baby instead of offering formula (it's icky). Pump one ounce per hour of separation and instruct your caregiver to feed no more than that. (More is over-feeding for a breastfed baby) Don't try giving the bottle yourself, it's usually a waste of time for mom to give a baby the bottle- babies want the REAL thing and will fuss for the breast. Have a caregiver offer the bottle. Make sure they do it gently, with baby mostly upright, since breastfed babies will NOT like the fast flow of the bottle. If baby continues to refuse the bottle, the caregiver can gently and slowly feed the baby with a clean unused medicine syringe.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 1:29 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I used a sling, and I nursed my son under the cape while they cut my hair. sorry, but I never saw it as a trap. I just took an extra set of hands with me (isn't that why we have grandparents and SOs?)

and listen to gruntlings, she knows her stuff!
    yamdankypita

Answer by yamdankypita at 1:06 PM on May. 9, 2009

• appreciate the answers, never gave the baby formula and can pump about 2 oz at atime. will try and let hubby feed her while i'm out, might try a trial run first just in case. I wish my girl liked the slings i bought but she fusses every time. might have to wait til she's a bit older
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 1:22 PM on May. 9, 2009