How can I get my 2 1/2 year old to quit spitting?

I don't want to haul off and smack his mouth for it....any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Really, popping in the mouth is the only thing that worked for us.
    Anonymous

• I have the same problem from time to time, but i think she is getting past it. its just another one of their stages. they are learning they can do something new with their body, we just have to guide them what we do & not do with spit, or where we can & cannot spit.. this is a great time to teach them about spitting when brushing out teeth.. so maybe let him brush his teeth a lil more during the day & spit in the sink will teach him ITs OK to spit in the sink.. its NOT ok to spit at the kitchen table, while playing with blocks, ect...
    one day i didnt notice but she spit all over her hands & then rubbed my face... OH MAN! I was FURIOUS!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:45 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I smack my 3 yr old in the mouth when she does that shit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on May. 9, 2009

• i warn my son twice. then i will thump him in the mouth. he got over it pretty fast
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I am not clear on how your child is spitting.  When my kids spit in the grass or something, I let it go unless it got out of control, like they were chewing tobacco or something.  Then I just told them it was tacky.  They did try spitting at people also, though.  Spitting at people makes me so mad!  I hated it when my kids did that! I never popped them for doing it though, I was afraid I'd just go ahead & beat them to death! I bent down, right in their face, held their cheeks & very firmly said, "We do not spit at people....EVER"  The look on your face should tell your child that if their response to that is spitting at you, it will be their funeral.   

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 6:28 AM on May. 9, 2009

• by spitting I mean inappropriate spitting....
    Anonymous